Cross Breeds!!!!

Pics
very nice birds. you might be able to answer my questions: 1. silkie/ easter egger cross - what colour of egg does she lay and how many per week? this is my silkie/rumpless araucana cross (hen was silkie) and I hope she will lay blue eggs: 2. if I cross egg layers and meat birds, is it important which one is male/female? I would like to get meatier egg layers so that I can cull extra cockerels. if I cross ameraucana roo with faverolles hen will the chicks be bigger?
she could lay anything from blue to light green as for your other questions I don't know. I have read that the mom carries the genes for egg laying ability and egg size, however no matter which way you do it they won't lay as much as a layer and won't be as heavy as a meat breed, the whit giant/Leghorn cross hens lay eggs slightly smaller than their mothers but they look more like white giants so going by this I would try two crosses at a time. Try crossing an egg layer breed rooster with a bunch of meat breed hens and at the same time cross a meat breed rooster with a bunch of egg layer hens. If you do these crosses let me know how they turned out. And if you want you could take it a step further and get the atiest rooster from each breeding and breed them with the best hens from the opposite breeding and see how that turns out. I am not familiar with faverolles so I wouldn't know but if they are bigger than ameraucana hens they should be somewhere in between the sizes of the two breeds. I hope this helped you out.

Last edited:
she could lay anything from blue to light green as for your other questions I don't know. I have read that the mom carries the genes for egg laying ability and egg size, however no matter which way you do it they won't lay as much as a layer and won't be as heavy as a meat breed, the whit giant/Leghorn cross hens lay eggs slightly smaller than their mothers but they look more like white giants so going by this I would try two crosses at a time. Try crossing an egg layer breed rooster with a bunch of meat breed hens and at the same time cross a meat breed rooster with a bunch of egg layer hens. If you do these crosses let me know how they turned out. And if you want you could take it a step further and get the atiest rooster from each breeding and breed them with the best hens from the opposite breeding and see how that turns out. I am not familiar with faverolles so I wouldn't know but if they are bigger than ameraucana hens they should be somewhere in between the sizes of the two breeds. I hope this helped you out.

thank you.

faverolles are big birds. I am interested in coloured eggs only and I will hatch them with the broodies only. I am a backyard flock keeper, all I do is for me only. I am just concerned what to do with the cockerels that will hatch.

thank you for suggesting for crossing egg laying roo/meat hen and meat roo/egg laying hen, I will then cross their offsprings. luckily I have muscovie ducks that get broody so I will use them to hatch chicks.

thank you.

faverolles are big birds. I am interested in coloured eggs only and I will hatch them with the broodies only. I am a backyard flock keeper, all I do is for me only. I am just concerned what to do with the cockerels that will hatch.

thank you for suggesting for crossing egg laying roo/meat hen and meat roo/egg laying hen, I will then cross their offsprings. luckily I have muscovie ducks that get broody so I will use them to hatch chicks.
ooh I love muscovies good luck.my white cross and my easter egger were hatched in a homemade incubator the black silkie cross was hatched under a broody bantam hen lol

ooh I love muscovies good luck.my white cross and my easter egger were hatched in a homemade incubator the black silkie cross was hatched under a broody bantam hen lol

do you notice any difference between incubator and broody hatched chicks?

I have only 1 little brahma hatched by a broody and this chick is so intelligent and independent. the others I bought are incubator hatched and they are sort of dummy.

I also got 1 marans pullet which is very smart and I think she has been hatched by a broody as well.

To think of it from a scientific stand point and biologist stand point animals tend to learn the ropes from their parents and if their parent is a non moving machine or box there isn't much they could learn... On the other hand you could then be concidered the parent and well not to many people know what or how to teach.

do you notice any difference between incubator and broody hatched chicks?

I have only 1 little brahma hatched by a broody and this chick is so intelligent and independent. the others I bought are incubator hatched and they are sort of dummy.

I also got 1 marans pullet which is very smart and I think she has been hatched by a broody as well.
my broody hatched and incubator hatched chickas were all raised together by me. Although I did have them with one older silkie who was partially raised by a broody hen but I saw no difference in the intelligence levels of them . different breeds will also have different intelligence levels and behaviors. I like to raise sewveral different ages, breeds and colors together because it decreases the risks of them picking on the oddball because each one is different all of my chicks have been very independent but stick together despite ach one being different. My great grandpa hatched out a bunch of chicks last year and they were all the same color except one which was white the white one was picked on so much that it died.

my broody hatched and incubator hatched chickas were all raised together by me. Although I did have them with one older silkie who was partially raised by a broody hen but I saw no difference in the intelligence levels of them . different breeds will also have different intelligence levels and behaviors. I like to raise sewveral different ages, breeds and colors together because it decreases the risks of them picking on the oddball because each one is different all of my chicks have been very independent but stick together despite ach one being different. My great grandpa hatched out a bunch of chicks last year and they were all the same color except one which was white the white one was picked on so much that it died.

thank you for that information. I have different coloured birds because I like variety.

I just added a German Spitzhauben pullet, 4 White Sultan pullets, 1 White Sultan cockerel, 1 Bantam Columbian Wyandotte to my flock family. So far all is well and everyone getting along wonderfully!

My question is this...I have 3 young roosters now. 1 Bantam Easter Egger, 1 Cuckoo Marans, 1 White Sultan. What will the smaller roosters be able to successfully breed with?

Also, will my standard Cuckoo Marans successfully mate with the Sultans or Spitzhauben, or will they we too small.

Would love to cross some beautiful funky looking Mutts!

The rest of my flock is Red Sex Link, Black Sex link, Light Brahma, Cuckoo Marans, and Easter Eggers.

And, what does everyone do with all of these extra roosters. I don't want too many roos in the future. These chickens are my pets, so going to a roasting pot is not an option for me personally. They come, they stay & lay, they retire as part of the flock.

Yes, I am quickly becoming a "Crazy Chicken Lady"

Most people generally eat them or sale them or give them away not really much else to do with them onto who can mate generally almost any chicken that can get up there can try and sometimes get the job done but my silver laced wyondote from time to time sneaked a mating session with anyone he could generally they were the same size so IDE say given time and chance you could get anything to mate as long as it's not a bantam and a big bird

I just added a German Spitzhauben pullet, 4 White Sultan pullets, 1 White Sultan cockerel, 1 Bantam Columbian Wyandotte to my flock family. So far all is well and everyone getting along wonderfully!

My question is this...I have 3 young roosters now. 1 Bantam Easter Egger, 1 Cuckoo Marans, 1 White Sultan. What will the smaller roosters be able to successfully breed with?

Also, will my standard Cuckoo Marans successfully mate with the Sultans or Spitzhauben, or will they we too small.

Would love to cross some beautiful funky looking Mutts!

The rest of my flock is Red Sex Link, Black Sex link, Light Brahma, Cuckoo Marans, and Easter Eggers.

And, what does everyone do with all of these extra roosters. I don't want too many roos in the future. These chickens are my pets, so going to a roasting pot is not an option for me personally. They come, they stay & lay, they retire as part of the flock.

Yes, I am quickly becoming a "Crazy Chicken Lady"
my japanese bantam was easily able to mate with my EE hen. Now, but dutch bantam roo tries mating with her but he has to wiggle down her back to find the right spot. ive yet to check fertility.

normally with extra roosters, i like to grow them out and post them for free on craigslist, stressing the fact they are important to me. LOL ive found tons of great forever homes this way for my guys. i normally ask for a pic of their coop setup before i go and send them off. :) hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom