Cross questions

mom'sfolly

Crowing
12 Years
Feb 15, 2007
Austin area, Texas
Does anyone have any pictures of what a BO roo over a RIR hen would produce? Or a BO over SLW? I'm thinking about hatching some of my own eggs and I was wondering what the crosses would look like. Actually, I'm thinking of helping my son's 2nd grade class hatch eggs in the spring, and mine are easily available.

I don't know as mine aren't even laying eggs yet :thun , but I'd love to know too!
My buff boy is in with my buff girls, the SLW, GLW and welsummers. I'm curious as to what they'd produce.
Maybe someone will post pictures!

I don't have any pics of the crosses that you are interested in, but I'll take a guess at what you'll get. At the very least, I'm giving you a bump so someone else will see this post and hopefully have pics for you.

BO X RIR: Offspring will be darker than Buff, lighter than red, perhaps with some black showing in the neck and tail areas. Sounds like a pretty bird to me.

BO X SLW: Offspring will be gold-colored, with some black markings on the feathers of the body, but probably not the lovely lacing of the SLW. Also, I'd imagine that there would again be black showing in the neck and tail areas.

Please, someone correct me if I'm wrong. I'm just starting to get into genetics, and it's oh-so-complicated!
smile.png

I have some chicks of the oppisate you are asking about.

I have some chicks from RIR Roo over BO Hens and they are like Lauralou said. A little darker than the BO and lighter than the RIR.

I also have some RIR Roo over SLW Hen. They almost look like SLW but you can see some of the red/brown bleeding in from the RIR. The red/brown is mostly on their heads.

I need to take some new pics of all my feathered friends out there and post some new pics on here sometime.

Jayare

Thanks, Jayare, for the confirmation on the BOXRIR cross. I'm really only guessing on these!

I'd love to see pics of the RIRXSLW cross, if you get a chance. I'm interested to see how much lacing comes through when there is only one laced parent. Sounds like it's more than I expected.

And the red is bleeding through on their heads, huh? Is it also on the hackle area, or just the head?

Food for thought.
smile.png

I like the idea of a reddish gold chickie or two. Maybe someone will go broody again. With my luck the silkie boy will have gotten to the girls and I'll getting funny looking chickens.

That sounds interesting, I hope my RIR is laying next time I do a hatch as my roo is a BO. Almost all the girls have slowed way down in their laying right now though and I don't think she's laid one all week, unless the color has changed--again.

I have 3 of these SLW/RIR crosses right now. 2 of them are mostly brown/red with black lacing and the other one looks pretty much like the SLW. I took some pics yesterday and I will try to log onto my photobucket account and upload some of those pics there so I can post them for yall. I have dial-up here so it will take a while. There is also a pic with 2 of the BO/RIR cross in there as well and 1 looks mostly red and the other looks mostly buff.

Jayare

Ok, I got 2 pics uploaded finally so here they are.

DSC03195.jpg

DSC03188.jpg

The 1st/top pic is from the 12:00 position working down and around clockwise is a SLW/RIR, BO/RIR, mystery chick i hatched from some roadside eggs I bought, BO/RIR, and a Phoenix.

The 2nd pic is of about 10 of my RIR's from Ideal and in the back is 2 chicks that are SLW/RIR cross. As you can see in these pics 2 of the SLW mixes are brown/red mostly with black lacing and the other 1 looks more like a SLW.

Hope that helps some.

Jayare

Jayare,

Thanks for the pictures!

With the RIRXSLW chicks, are the gold ones pullets and is the silver one a cockerel? I had forgotten that I read that Silver X Gold can produce sex linked chicks.

Cool!

Back
Top Bottom