Cross roads

Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif
We're glad to have you.

I would go with the eating egg route. I think that it would give you a more consistent, more reliable source of profit. Rare breeds may be popular in some areas, but that varies from place to place and different breeds become popular at different times. Also, I doubt that you would be able to get $30.00 a dozen on hatchery-quality Java chickens. If people are interested in raising heritage breeds or rare breeds, they are more likely to go to older breeders instead of getting hatchery birds.

Keep in mind, however, that neither route is likely to actually make you much income. To really make money on selling eating eggs, you usually need to either raise a lot, or make the eggs special in some way (free-range, organic, etc.). Often times, the best option for making money with chickens is raising meat birds. Your coop that can hold 15 laying hens may be able to hold more broilers, as they require about 2 square feet per bird (in commercial conditions- of course, you could give them more space). Every 6-8 weeks, you could have a batch of 15-20 Cornish X broilers ready to be butchered or sold.

Of course, you also need to do what you enjoy the most. You may make more money on broilers, but some people don't like butchering. If you really enjoy Javas, go ahead and raise them and promote the breed. Or, if you enjoy farm-fresh eggs and want others to enjoy them too, get laying hens and sell eggs. Just keep in mind that you may not make much money and that you often lose money when raising chickens.

Good luck in whatever you decide on.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom