1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Cross roads

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Marks chickens, Dec 6, 2014.

1. Marks chickens

Marks chickens Out Of The Brooder

Dec 3, 2013
    First thanks for comments they really help out. Ok so i have a run that is 15 by 10 and I have a big coop... I can eather put 15 laying hens in there and sell the eggs for $3 a dozen or........ I have a rare breed of chicken called a java i have two hens, i have a mix rooster so i cant sell the eggs as pure but i can order chicks from a hatchery so i will have a pure roo and a pure hen so I can hatch pure chicks if need be and sell the eggs for $30 a dozen/ but I have neighbors and another roo. There is a thing our state offers its 35 dollars a year and it makes any one who complaines cost them $200 but i dont want to tick of my neighbors so i will get two nocrow collars witch are $20 each and like i said i can put most likely 12 hens and one rooster and I can sell the eggs for $30 a dozen. Witch path should i take? I can answer any questions thanks

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Selling eggs for a certain price depends on what the going rate for your area is. Each area of the country is different.

But as for making a profit, I have never found it to be feasible. I seem to spend more on my birds than I get for their eggs. However I do this for the love of the bird, not for cash.

Good luck with all your projects and welcome to our flock!

3. familyfarm1

familyfarm1 Overrun With Chickens

Jun 9, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    [​IMG]

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Do you know if there are lots of people who want to buy java eggs?

Fads come and go over what is the breed of the hour, or what is more endangered than another. The price for ayam cermanis is extremely high which has caused everyone and their brother to try and raise them. When there is a glut of them to reach market they will have to drop prices in order to get any sales.

The museum of Science and Industry in Chicago has an exhibit with incubator and hatches out javas throughout the year. After they hatch the breeder takes them back and brings new eggs. People I knew that used to raise them have gone to other breeds for whatever reason. If you are selling eggs from hatchery stock people may not want them. For $ 30. a dozen I would guess they want stock from a well known, respected breeder. I know I would.

5. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    Stick to selling eating eggs. You won't have to worry about annoying your neighbors that way. There is no way hatchery quality Java hatching eggs will net you $30/dozen. Ever.

6. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

7. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you decided to join our flock. Based on my own experience, I would go with the laying hens as it is a more reliable and proven way to make profit. If you really want to make a profit selling eggs, you need to get some really high yield layers; White Leghorns if you want to sell white eggs, or sex links (Black or Red) if you want to sell brown eggs. These are the hens used by laying houses for good reason as they are egg laying machines. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your flock.

8. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined us! I think you should ask in the Java Thread how popular these birds are and then decide. In my experience selling table eggs is a good way to pay for your flock's feed and make a little extra, but you're going to have to buy feed in bulk in order to do that… Small amounts of feed is going to work out too expensive.

9. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

Laying hens would probably be more profitable. Demand for breeds, including Javas, varies depending on your area and on the birds quality. Some people might pay 30 dollars/dozen for eggs from exhibition quality Javas, but not eggs from hatchery quality birds. They would likely choose the cheaper option of simply ordering Java eggs/chicks from a hatchery themselves.

Whatever you decide to do, good luck and enjoy your chickens!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by