Cross your fingers im re-trying ...

Zylphrix

In the Brooder
12 Years
Nov 24, 2007
Hillsborough NC
Just thinking a little luck would be nice as im trying for the 3rd time to introduce this hen to the run. .. She was small when I got her and is still a runt. If not for how much she seems to love me I would just let her work it out but i guess im a softy. Shes been in a cage in the run all day and things seem to be settleing down but who knows .. im thinking of letting her out of the cage after dark and see if when they all wake up together things will be ok ..

Mark

fl.gif

just went out and stuck her on the roost pole in the coop ... so we will see .. poor girl did not want to go in when I opened the door and the rooster came to see what i was doing .. she practically ran up my arm headed for the top of my head (which she loves but im afraid she will poop on me)

I Put the hen back in the cage (in the run) with a board leaning against one side so she has a protected side .. I checked on her a few times last night and while they arent chasing her so much she definately looks uncomfortable around them and separates herself . Im just going to keep doing this till it takes .. I go on vacation soon and I need this hen to be in with the rest of the population (all 7 total lol) ... can anyone say "Jamaica" ...

Mark

Good luck!

I have a house chicken named Jane. I bought her with a roo back in October. Had her in 'general population' for a full 2 mos trying to get her to comfortably integrate. At the end, the big girls left her alone, but she still wasn't happy AT ALL. Numerous times she tried to follow me outside in the DARK and SNOW. One night the temps dropped to 5. When I went to close everything up, everyone was warm and happy in the house.. except Jane who was in the run like she was going to sleep there. I decided it was a suicide attempt.. and brought her in.

Like your girl, she is SUCH a sweetie. I've given up adding her to the main flock, but we have plans for a bantam flock in the spring, so hopefully I can integrate her with them (they'll be from eggs I've hatched).

It can be hard.. I really tried to give her a shot, but she just couldn't adjust. I hope your situation goes much better!

Have fun in the sunshine!!

Meghan

Back
Top Bottom