Crossbeak / scissor beak chick šŸ£

ForTheLoveOfSilkies

Free Ranging
Aug 18, 2019
Australia
I have a little Silkie chick I noticed has a slight cross beak.
Anyone had this issue before- what are some tips to raise this one? Or is it best to cull? Will it get lots worse?
Also anyone know why this happens? Genetic? I shouldn't use him/her for breeding just in case?

11 days old
Broody hatched 5 but 2 eggs were cold a few days before hatch she kicked them out and I put them back under her, so it's possible this crossbeak chick is one of those.

IMG_20211016_105325.jpg IMG_20211016_114859.jpg
IMG_20211016_114844.jpg
IMG_20211016_114835.jpg
IMG_20211016_114838.jpg

It's not bad yet but will likely worsen with age. There may be a genetic component to it, so no I would not breed this bird, but if it doesn't get too bad and the chick can eat without help, it can still live a long and productive life.

I usually do some beak maintenance on my crossbeaked birds (filing the uneven edges/overgrowth) when they grow up, and that's enough to keep them in good condition. But I haven't had any really severe crossbeaks.

I usta save them and give them away to people, but now I cull them as soon as I notice it. Or if someone is buying chicks and I find it while picking out chicks for them I offer it for free. Usually they can still live a good healthy life but incase its in the genetics I cull to not risk keeping it in the genepool. Best of luck on whichever route you go, again they can still be good pets but might need a little more help here and there šŸ‘šŸ‘

I usta save them and give them away to people, but now I cull them as soon as I notice it. Or if someone is buying chicks and I find it while picking out chicks for them I offer it for free. Usually they can still live a good healthy life but incase its in the genetics I cull to not risk keeping it in the genepool. Best of luck on whichever route you go, again they can still be good pets but might need a little more help here and there šŸ‘šŸ‘
Ok yep I think I'll cull otherwise need to make separate coop just for them.
Best to grab with 2 hands and pull head off? - I use broomstick for older ones and head pull with one week old but they are bigger size now 3 weeks old.

I have three pullets with crossbeak! I was told that it would likely worsen until they reached about 3 months (because this is when they are most the way done growing). Iā€™m not sure if mine would be considered severe or not, but each of theirs is different. I think Shelly has it the worst (pictured below). They should not be used for breeding seeing as they can pass it on to their offspring. What I do for them is trim (if needed), feed crumbles, and use dip beak waterers. They are all doing great and the oldest one is a polish who is almost a year old! The other two are even bigger than their ā€œsiblingsā€ of the same age! As long as they are able to eat and drink on their own they should be fine.
Shelly-
7E633206-F759-42BF-82C2-D588EFAB54B9.jpeg

This is Auggie. His crossbeak isn't terrible but it's there. I don't think it's changed much over time. I was going to do some beak maintenance but decided I would just keep a close eye on him and do something if it caused any problems. He is 14 months old now. This picture was taken recently as I'm treating for SLM, which is noticeable here.
20210928_080507.jpg

I don't do anything different or special for him and he does fine, thankfully. He's an amazing rooster

This is Auggie. His crossbeak isn't terrible but it's there. I don't think it's changed much over time. I was going to do some beak maintenance but decided I would just keep a close eye on him and do something if it caused any problems. He is 14 months old now. This picture was taken recently as I'm treating for SLM, which is noticeable here.
View attachment 2877283
I don't do anything different or special for him and he does fine, thankfully. He's an amazing rooster
Awww! He looks so sweet! :love

Back
Top Bottom