Crossbeak

Linda1218

Songster
Oct 7, 2019
So I have a Silkie flock that I been breeding for a few years I’m guess close to two years . Everything was normal and now the crossbeak showing up . I was wondering what should I do ? Change out the rooster or the whole flock . I don’t know where the crossbeak coming from . Advice?

How many eggs are you hatching, what percent crossbeam are you getting? A new rooster is probably the best route to go.

Do you know who's eggs you are hatching, or do you just hatch what you have at hand. I think a new rooster, and most of this problem would go away, but even with a new rooster, I think a little more careful who's egg you are hatching, to see if you can figure out which hen needs to be culled.

However, I bought a couple of chicks, last summer, and I looked at them carefully. And 6 weeks later, I thought there was a stick in her mouth. It can take several weeks for it to be easily evident.

Mrs K

How many eggs are you hatching, what percent crossbeam are you getting? A new rooster is probably the best route to go.

Do you know who's eggs you are hatching, or do you just hatch what you have at hand. I think a new rooster, and most of this problem would go away, but even with a new rooster, I think a little more careful who's egg you are hatching, to see if you can figure out which hen needs to be culled.

However, I bought a couple of chicks, last summer, and I looked at them carefully. And 6 weeks later, I thought there was a stick in her mouth. It can take several weeks for it to be easily evident.

Mrs K
So in every batch I would have 1 in 20 chicks that have a crossbeak and I did 3 batches . I end up have 3 Silkie with crossbeak . I end up getting a govee hydrometer and my incubator is off by a degree and a half . I don’t know if that the reason or it my chicken need new blood in the line . Sad thing is that I been working with them for a few years and finally got the right fluff and how show quality they have became and this appears. I don’t know where to start but maybe introduce a new rooster because I have 8 hens they all seem healthy except one with a wry neck problem that occur here and there . I think I might separate her first ?

If you’re wanting to continue the flock, it’d probably be best to single mate your birds so you can see who the crossbeak is coming from. It’d probably be best to cull those birds. I’m assuming the rooster has the genetics, since you mentioned he’s breeding his daughters. It may work best to find a new rooster from someone with quality stock, and start single mating so you can track the flow of genetics and more easily determine where any future potential deformities/health issues come from.

If you’re wanting to continue the flock, it’d probably be best to single mate your birds so you can see who the crossbeak is coming from. It’d probably be best to cull those birds. I’m assuming the rooster has the genetics, since you mentioned he’s breeding his daughters. It may work best to find a new rooster from someone with quality stock, and start single mating so you can track the flow of genetics and more easily determine where any future potential deformities/health issues come from.
Thank you I guess ima go that route while looking for another rooster .

Back
Top Bottom