crossbeak?

They can really surprise you though so i would wait untill its obvious its not going to make it. I can still tell which one it is but it is not getting worse and she acts like the others. they are six weeks now and she eats fine. Read my other thread about the chick that couldnt walk, She wouldnt walk anymore. I wait it is in pain or obviously going to die before i do anything drastic but i agree, there is no way i am tube feeding a chicken everyday.

Last edited:
I have a cross beak also. You might want to keep there top beak trimmed up a bit when it starts growing out. I do this and it seems to help. My pullet is 4 months old and like you I'm praying it doesn't get worse! When she starts to get over growth on the top beak i take clippers and trim it down slightly it really helps! They have a tendency to get worse as they get older so keep a closer eye on her and do the trimming. Mine is a slight cross but she is still young so I'm very worried about it! She should be fine and thrive as long as she can eat and drink ok. Mine is doing well and thriving thank God but i pray it doesn't get worse
This is why i keep it trimmed. I wish you the best !

Anyone ever seen this? I've been contemplating having him put down but I don't know yet. I want to at least give him a chance but I don't really see him living long. I got him at Atwoods and I have been helping him eat slowly from a tiny dropper but I read they can choke doing that. Ant thoughts, opinions on it?

His beak is turned sideways and he doesn't have an eye. The lady at atwoods gave him to me but I'm not sure there is anything at all that can be done for him. I'm afraid he's going to starve to death.

I know its not nice but I would probably kill that chick. Or you could take care of it personally everyday if you have time. If she is that bad now it will only get worse but this is just my opinion. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

His beak is turned sideways and he doesn't have an eye. The lady at atwoods gave him to me but I'm not sure there is anything at all that can be done for him. I'm afraid he's going to starve to death.

I had an orpington like that come in my hatchery order. I put her down as soon as it was apparent she was unable to eat on her own.

That's what I'm thinking. Poor little guy. I feel bad for him and don't want to see him suffer. :(
Thank you for the input. I definitely won't get anymore "handicapped" animals

I had a chick hatch last sunday that had a deformed head, eye, and beak. His poor little eye was almost to his beak, more in the front of his head then on the side. His beak was slightly crossed. His skull was misshaped. I kept him for a couple of days to give him a chance but even in just those few days, as he was growing, I could see the issues getting worse. I decided to put him down since it was apparent that his issues were beyond being able to live even a halfway decent life. This was the first time I had to deal with any kind of issues like this. It was very difficult even though I knew that it is always a possibility when hatching out chicks. I have 19 eggs in lockdown right now and I am very apprehensive about them hatching. I always have gotten so excited when it was time for eggs to hatch but this time I almost dread them hatching and me finding another one with issues and having to put it down.

Penny

Back
Top Bottom