crossbeak?

Justin P

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jan 26, 2013
Southeast Virginia

I got five baby chicks on saturday, three buffs and two barred rocks. This little Buff looks like it has a problem with his beak. Is it possible for it to straighten out on its own? I didnt notice it untill today. I hope she turns out ok, im a little bummed.

I had an Easter Egger chick whose beak was a little more crossed than yours. I read all the posts here about trimming the beak, tube-feeding, and all that... then what I did was just give her a chance. She ate crumbles just fine, then when she was older and I saw she could get whole corn down, I knew she'd be fine. Now, almost a year old, she's a bold forager, a good layer, and one of the most entertaining chickens I've had.

Don't panic. ;)

I had one in my last batch that started looking like that at about three weeks old. It was very slight, looked just like your birds, and did not progress. In fact once she started going outside and getting some sun every day it completely corrected and she is completely normal now. I asked my avian vet about this and he said that it's usually a genetic thing and it usually progresses. However he suspects that occasionally you might see a mild case if there is a vitamin D deficiency. So just keep an eye on your bird and see if you notice it progressing as she grows. Even if she does have a mild cross beak a lot of those birds get along just fine without any special daily treatment, especially if you file it down once in a while. It's the ones with a severe cross that have difficulty.

I had my rooster with a cross beak that I only just lost a couple weeks ago, he was almost 2 years old.

He couldn't peck anything, so I cooked for him - oatmeal and baby food were his favorites. He also loved rice bran with chick mash and applesauce... Give her a chance they end up being the best chickens I miss mine horribly everyday I go out and he's not there and it still hurts.

I just recently put down two cross beaks of my own, I couldn't be selfish and let them suffer the pain, they fell asleep so peacefully...but everybody should do what they feel is right, I kept mine for 3 weeks in hopes they would be happy.

I think I'm going to put down my 3 week old chick as well. She's getting worse each day and it just doesn't seem like she'll have much of a life. This will be the 7th of my batch of 15 chicks not to make it. I guess I'll have to toughen up if I'm going to keep chickens.

I dont know if they are more prone or not, i dont think so i think its just a birth defect in chickens and birds in general. I did have to put my poor chicken down. I came home and she was in the food hopper, I mean in the bucket part, trying to eat but she couldnt. It sucked but it was the best thing for her. Thats the best way sometimes.

I sure hope she turns out like yours. I really didnt want to have to deal with anything like this. There is no way i could have a "special needs" chicken. Maybe she will be ok but all the stuff i can find to read about it doesnt look good at all.

Back
Top Bottom