crossbeak?

I dont know if they are more prone or not, i dont think so i think its just a birth defect in chickens and birds in general. I did have to put my poor chicken down. I came home and she was in the food hopper, I mean in the bucket part, trying to eat but she couldnt. It sucked but it was the best thing for her. Thats the best way sometimes.

I just adopted her, she apparently had been surviving and living fine without being tube fed.... I don't like the idea of cutting it at all! I just read people do and have never came across a situation like this, I really love this girl though, she is so friendly. I will not cull her at all... she doesn't appear to be suffering.... I just wanted others opinions.

I admire you for taking on such a challenge. I have 2 crossed beak silkies who are doing great with no interventions from me. They aren't as severe as your poor girls though

Thanks, I just went out there because that other poster freaked me out... I though maybe she can't eat! BUT I went out there just now, 6am and offered her food, she ate great! then I gave her water, she drank great too! I think as long as the chicken can eat and drink on their own that they are okay .. wouldn't you say? I just won't breed her and make sure she is offered wood ash to dust bathe in since she may not be able to clean herself ...

Thats about how mine was. The one i had was bought with four other chicks, when i had to put her down she was about half the size of the other four and when i picked her up she was all bones. All she did all day was scratch the food out of the feeder and try to eat but i was certain that she wasnt getting any food. If that bird is that big and has meat on her bones then maybe she has adapted to her condition. I would just let her go as long as she is a healthy wait. The poor bird i had was simply staving to death and i felt a responsibility to not let that happen. Its hard to kill something you raised from almost day one but in the end that was the best thing for mine. Like i said maybe yours has adapted. Best of luck!

I have a baby chick right now with a terrible cross beak :/ We got her like that from the hatchery about a month ago and didn't think anything of it since she was (and still is) eating and drinking just fine. Hopefully she'll be okay as she grows up.

I just adopted her, she apparently had been surviving and living fine without being tube fed.... I don't like the idea of cutting it at all! I just read people do and have never came across a situation like this, I really love this girl though, she is so friendly. I will not cull her at all... she doesn't appear to be suffering.... I just wanted others opinions.
Is she eating and drinking on her own?
We have a baby chick just like that, and she's doing fine now but I'm worried about her as she gets older. :/

Back
Top Bottom