Crossbow Hunting

I can't make out the manufacturer? How's it shoot? How's your groups? At what yardages? Got a video?
lol.png

For the last few weeks or so, wait, maybe like the last six weeks, can't remember exactly but I have come down with tennis elbow, as far as I can tell. Wicked pain when its with me and honestly I have been afraid to pull back my bow for fear my elbow might get to the target before my arrow!
lol.png

Have been contemplating a Cross bow.

Good luck and have fun!

...JP

Quote:
It's a Barnett Wildcat C5 - lower end of the spectrum but not bottom. The only shooting they had there was a 10yd alley, and I was able to keep the vanes touching. We are heading to a friend's house tomorrow to truly sight them in.

It's got the 4x32 reticle scope, built in cocking crank thing, comes with 4 bolts and a quiver.

It's really fun to shoot - not like a gun, not like a bow, just a creature it's own. It's much more bulky that a bow or gun, but I liked the balance of this one. I didn't like the stocks on the more expensive ones (the $1200 TenPoints)

150llb draw, 320fps.

I know some folks think its a lot "easier" than bowhunting, but with them being so big and blocky (and there were some a LOT bigger than this one), it's not as easy to maneuver around as a bow. Same with a gun - it's not as easy to swing and move around.

But, it will definately keep us outdoors, and that is what is important to me!

ETA: the shooting there was freestanding, which I generally am not that great with a gun. I'll be using a stick, but even without one, it was pretty forgiving.

Last edited:
So I went to the Bass Pro in Denham Springs this past Thursday to try out some crossbows. I was very interested in the Excalibur ones because they have recurve limbs. Thought this feature would make them a quieter choice. Wayyyyy far from the truth.

Loud isn't the word.

I tried two of their models and was kind of bummed until I shot the Tenpoint turbo xlt.

It was much quieter, surprisingly so and very compact.

Has some nice features.

A few hundred dollars more than what I wanted to spend but I was in love and still am!

Happy hunting everyone!

...JP

As luck would have it, not only has hubby already killed a deer with HIS crossbow I bought him, but I've managed to pick the darn lemon of the store.

The cranking devise snapped last night, and tried to take a big hunk o' finger with it. I've emailed Barnett already to find out how they would like to resolve this issue, along with a picture of my gory finger (

Seriously, I need to up to the heavens and knock the planets back in alignment or something.

My husband likes to hunt with a crossbow. He's actually thinking of selling his, which I was going to offer then I saw that you had already bought two. DH is part Blackfoot and prefers quieter methods of hunting rather than rifles.

WOO! I have a TenPoint now too....and WOW, what a difference in quality!

Barnett never returned my emails, so today I went back to Gander Mountain, no receipt, no box, just the crossbow. I figured I'd be in a fight, but nope. They apologized for what happened, and we discussed options, and they were going to give me a crossbow that was $150 more, but only charge me for $50 of the difference. Then they decided to just waive that, and let me have it free
smile.png
THEN since I didn't really like the RedDot scope, they found a better reticule scope, and put THAT on there....free
big_smile.png

Back in business!!!

This is what the Barnett did to me....

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom