Crossbreed bantam?

JudgeChunk

Chirping
Dec 27, 2020
So sometime ago I rescued this little pullet from a rundown petshop. She wasn't laying then but now she's full on broody and sitting on some quail eggs.

While it doesn't matter to me I was wondering is she not full bantam? She's only my second chicken, her companion passed away from a tumor. So i don't know much about the breeds. Someone told me her back is too long and her mottled feet are indicative of crossbreeding?

Any thougt?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210222-073144_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210222-073144_Gallery.jpg
    908.6 KB · Views: 18
  • Screenshot_20210222-073010_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210222-073010_Gallery.jpg
    455.1 KB · Views: 13
  • Screenshot_20210222-072657_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210222-072657_Gallery.jpg
    687.1 KB · Views: 11
  • Screenshot_20210222-072838_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210222-072838_Gallery.jpg
    661.9 KB · Views: 12
  • Screenshot_20210222-072724_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210222-072724_Gallery.jpg
    758.4 KB · Views: 14
Reminds me of a poorly bred mottled Japanese bantam.
Neither of the things you mentioned guarantees a crissbreed.
Japs should have a shorter back then her but that could just be from poor breeding.

Japs should have a shorter back then her but that could just be from poor breeding.
I was going to say that she looks like a poorly (possibly mixed) OEGB. She looks mottled, which doesn't exist in OEGB World. It does exist in Japs though. Then we have skin color. Her shanks are white which points to OEGB.

You think she could be an OEGB/Jap cross? Could that produce that color/pattern?

Admittedly I'm not very knowledgeable and poor breeding didn't even occur to me. That answer actually makes a little more sense!

I don't know how that pet store acquires the birds I just know they are kept in poor conditions prior to sale.

I was going to say that she looks like a poorly (possibly mixed) OEGB. She looks mottled, which doesn't exist in OEGB World. It does exist in Japs though. Then we have skin color. Her shanks are white which points to OEGB.

You think she could be an OEGB/Jap cross? Could that produce that color/pattern?
Just have to complete things don't you?
Do oegb have white shanks? Hard to believe they would come in mottled. They have so many patterns.
She just reminded me of a jap. Honestly if poorly bred both breeds could be pretty similar. IDK, now it's gonna be a mystery.

I feel like I've seen similar birds posted recently to her. Kind of weird, I have to think OEGB as well, but the body type also seems strange and the variety seems to be decently uncommon. Mottling is also recessive, so I would assume she was intentionally bred. OP, are you located in the US?

Back
Top Bottom