Crossbreeding/Backcrossing of Green Junglefowl With Domestic Chicken and Successive Offspring

The stock I have found in the USA and Mexico have signs of endogamy, in this forum a member purchased a pair for $700 and after two years the hen has not laid a single egg, that was many years ago so I don't know what he did with them. But many breeders here believe a single pair need a large Aviary to breed successfully, but in Indonesia they have them in normal game fowl cages, they breed vigorously. There are more Green Junglefowl in Indonesian houses than there are wild ones, so I suspect that many of those "Greens" that are on homes are are actually Ayam Bekiper(87.5% G. varius).

This is a Backcross to Green Junglefowl from Ayam Bekicem(Bekisar Cemani)

1639507134127.png

1639507152071.png

I was able to find a scan of an old Ayam Bekisar breeding book(in Indonesian) that depicts the possible crosses.

1639702834560.png

1639702868442.png

The terms on that chart(from left to right)

Skema Persilangan Ayam Hutan Dan Ayam Kampung: Crossing Scheme of Jungle Fowl and Village Chicken

Ayam Kampung: Village Chicken/Domestic Chicken

Ayam Hutan: Ayam Hutan Hijau/Green Junglefowl

Bekisar: Ayam Bekisar/F1 hybrid of Green Junglefowl/Domestic Chicken

Bekikuk: Ayam Bekikuk/ First Backcross to domestic chicken

Bekisar Halus: Ayam Bekilus/ Fist Backcross to Green Junglefowl

Bekisar Super: Ayam Bekiper/ Second Backcross to Green Junglefowl

Mandul: Indonesian word for Sterile
Darah Baru: Indonesian word for New Blood

Last edited:
I was able to find a scan of an old Ayam Bekisar breeding book(in Indonesian) that depicts the possible crosses.

View attachment 2931302

View attachment 2931303

The terms on that chart(from left to right)

Skema Persilangan Ayam Hutan Dan Ayam Kampung: Crossing Scheme of Jungle Fowl and Village Chicken

Ayam Kampung: Village Chicken/Domestic Chicken

Ayam Hutan: Ayam Hutan Hijau/Green Junglefowl

Bekisar: Ayam Bekisar/F1 hybrid of Green Junglefowl/Domestic Chicken

Bekikuk: Ayam Bekikuk/ First Backcross to domestic chicken

Bekisar Halus: Ayam Bekilus/ Fist Backcross to Green Junglefowl

Bekisar Super: Ayam Bekiper/ Second Backcross to Green Junglefowl

Mandul: Indonesian word for Sterile
Darah Baru: Indonesian word for New Blood
What does it look like if you cross a longtail with a green junglefowl?

I've been fascinated by the beautiful colors of the Green Junglefowl and how their F1s look. I have recently found about the Backcross breeding to Green Junglefowl. I will not go into details about the lines found in the USA or abroad(to me they seem to be suffering from endogamy), but mostly what happens in their native land of Indonesia where they are raised to produce mostly the F1s.

In Indonesia the Green Junglefowl is called, Ayam Hutan hijau which is literally translated to Green Jungle Chicken, The F1 cross between them and domestic chickens are called Ayam Bekisar, The backcross to the Green Junglefowl is called Ayam Bekilus, The backcross to domestic chickens is called Ayam Bekikuk, many of these backcrosses are not documented as much because a few try them since most are happy just producing F1s for the unique crow that the F1 males produce.

These are the know names used in Indonesia for the offspring of crossbreeding/backcrossing:

Ayam Hutan hijau: Gallus varius.

Ayam Bekiper: Second Backcross to Gallus varius, 87.5% various.

Ayam Bekilus: First Backcross to Gallus varius, 75% various.

Ayam Bekisar: Gallus varius x Domestic Chicken, 50% various.

Ayam Bekicem: Gallus varius x Ayam Cemani, 50% various

Ayam Bekikuk: First Backcross to domestic chicken, 25% various.

In Indonesia you will find the most tame Green Jungle Fowls, it's amazing these birds are not skittish whatsoever, they can be petted, but due to the language barrier many are not aware of that.

Green Junglefowl
View attachment 2927974

View attachment 2927975

Ayam Bekisar
View attachment 2927976

View attachment 2927977

Ayam Bekicem
View attachment 2927978

View attachment 2927979

Ayam Bekilus(Ayam Bekisar Halus)

The breeding chart.

View attachment 2927996

View attachment 2927999

View attachment 2928000
So I raised Cornish X's for the first time and I'm amazed at how unintelligent they are. I literally had 6 die over several weeks because they couldn't be bothered to walk 3 feet. My thought process is that there has to be a better way to get a fast growing chicken that won't die from stupidity, which lead me here. Has anyone breed a Cornish to the jungle fowl to get a chicken that has some wildness and therefore some self sufficiency bred back in? I'm not concerned about the colors or crow. But I am interested in fertility and growth habits. Do you have any insight?

Those are incredible. Sr. Nicalandia, can you import birds from Indonesia into your country? There are people that send Ayam Cemani to international customers and they could probably source GJF. I'd get some if I could.

Last edited:
So I raised Cornish X's for the first time and I'm amazed at how unintelligent they are. I literally had 6 die over several weeks because they couldn't be bothered to walk 3 feet. My thought process is that there has to be a better way to get a fast growing chicken that won't die from stupidity, which lead me here. Has anyone breed a Cornish to the jungle fowl to get a chicken that has some wildness and therefore some self sufficiency bred back in? I'm not concerned about the colors or crow. But I am interested in fertility and growth habits. Do you have any insight?
That would not produce good meat birds. Instead, choose a breed that has been bred for years specially for the purpose of fast growth, self sufficiency, and meat production.
Cornish X are stupid but they also have significant health problems due to their unnatural growth. For example, Delewares, that were once one of the main broiler producing breeds, are not very much smarter, but grew *fairly* quickly in good health with excellent health. But if intelligence is what you’re interested in, there’s many breeds with that. For example, Buckeyes are known for their far ranging abilities. There are many Standard breeders who still breed for meat production capabilities. Plymouth Rocks, Rhode Island Reds, New Hampshires, Delewares, and Buckeyes are great choices. A non recognized breed often bred for production is the Bresse.
https://goodshepherdconservancy.org/
(Here is an example of one such breeder.)
Personally I would recommend Buckeyes for their intelligence. Mike Sullivan, Christopher McCary and Aaron Baker have been using them for the table for years.

Last edited:
So I raised Cornish X's for the first time and I'm amazed at how unintelligent they are. I literally had 6 die over several weeks because they couldn't be bothered to walk 3 feet.
What was 3 feet away that they needed?

I think it is important to remember how young Cornish Cross are when they are butchered. I'm not saying Cornish Cross are really smart, just saying they seem less stupid if you compare them to same-age chicks instead of comparing them to adults of other breeds. Chicks under 8 weeks, any breed, tend to seem stupid when compared with adult chickens of most breeds.

Back
Top Bottom