Crossed wings.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by AnaD, May 18, 2011.

1. AnaD

AnaD Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2011
    N. Ca
    I just noticed tonight that one of my drakes has wings that cross at the ends. He seems to be twitching his wings a lot tonight and at sometimes his wings would hardly cross and at other times they crossed almost half way up his wings. Why is he doing this?

2. Alicia G

Alicia G Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2010
    Nova Scotia
    Ive been raising ducks for 7+ years and that is something that I see regularly, For some reason the drakes more then the hens. they hold there wings up and close the there body, usually when they are going to sleep. The twitching is just the bird trying to find juusssssttttt the right way to hold there wings, the most comfortable. The wings will often cross when they do this. So don't worrie, your boy is perfectly normal! [​IMG]

3. duckking

duckking Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2010
    Cascade Foothills, WA
    I had a couple of Mallard hens doing this. They seemed to have stopped now without any intervention. Sometimes, if I haven't cleaned their pool out soon enough for some reason, they will do this. I think it's because they haven't had a good clean splashing!

If he is always looking wet as well, it could be a blocked oil gland. Just check the base of his tail to see of there is any problem.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by