Crossing a standard size hen with bantam Roo's?

RoosterHuggerLiz

Songster
Dec 27, 2020
I've been trying to do some research and I want to be sure of this prior to me attempted to hatch any of these eggs, I have a Bantam rooster mixed into my flock of standard and Bantam hens, my favorite standard hen has recently gone broody but I also have a lot of Bantam hens broody at the moment and I don't want to have too many bantams in my flock, will my hen hatch standard, bantom, or a mix of chicks? They're her eggs so they're pretty large and if you must know the breed the hen is a Rhode Island red and the roo is a banton coaching, any clues or experience with crossing sizing?

The babies should be kind of mid sized, somewhere between bantam and standard.
I assume you probably did this, but did you check to make sure that the eggs are fertile? I only ask because my bantam cochin has never been able to successfully mate with any of my standard breed hens, no matter how hard he tries.

The babies should be kind of mid sized, somewhere between bantam and standard.
I assume you probably did this, but did you check to make sure that the eggs are fertile? I only ask because my bantam cochin has never been able to successfully mate with any of my standard breed hens, no matter how hard he tries.
Yes and they all hatche

I have a frizzle rooster who is a mix of a light Brahma hen and a bantam Cochin rooster. He’s not bantam but also not as big as my standard size chickens. So probably a mid size rooster. He's just the right size where he can mate with both my bantams, silkies and Cochins, and standards though.

Dose size affect eggs much?
The size of the chick or the size the hen will lay? How big a chick will be depends on how big the egg was. As for size of the eggs a hen will lay I’m not sure. I think it depends on the size of the chicken. I have no hens that are a bantam standard cross to tell you for sure though. I only have a rooster that’s a mix from my bantam Cochin.

The size of hen can affect what size eggs she lays. Bantams lay small eggs, larger chickens lay larger eggs, although extra-big hens do not always lay extra-big eggs. Chickens that are half bantam would probably lay medium sized eggs, but I don't know for sure.

The size of a hen is controlled by genes from her mother and her father, so a hen's parents both have some affect on the size eggs she lays.

I have a frizzle rooster who is a mix of a light Brahma hen and a bantam Cochin rooster. He’s not bantam but also not as big as my standard size chickens. So probably a mid size rooster. He's just the right size where he can mate with both my bantams, silkies and Cochins, and standards though.

Back
Top Bottom