Crossing Cornish with others....

I'm pretty sure Ideal is just a regular commercial hatchery. I don't know about Randall Burkey, but I didn't see anything on the site about breed conservation, or breeding to SOP.

Again, the problem isn't finding Cornish. Almost EVERYBODY carries them. The problem is they are not full blood Cornish, they are way off from the breed standards, they aren't even very big. A full blood Cornish hen should weigh about 8 lbs. not the little dinky 3 and 4 lb. birds like I got from Murray McMurray, who along with all the other hatcheries, sells birds that are nominally Cornish, and look something like them, but are not really high quality birds. They are most likely mixed with leghorn and who knows what, maybe even a bantam here and there.

Quote:
About 50% of my Dark Cornish form commercial hatcheries have the tails that make me suspect they were outcrossed with Leghorns, too.

I couldn't agree more. The retail hatchery birds are not high quality falling in line with the standard... especially in size.

I guess I'm repeating myself here, but I've just never found any serious Cornish breeders I could get birds or eggs from.

I've found a breeder! I can buy eggs, chicks, adult, or started birds from. Only I have to pick them up there, nearly 800 miles away. The plus side is he's in Oklahoma, where I have some family anyway. I can stop by and get birds on my way home, next time I go to visit.

He also gave me contact info for another guy who may be able to help me find some closer to home. I'll try to call him later today.

I'm not posting contact info, as I don't have the man's permission to do so. I respect his privacy.

Did you see this ad, DancingBear?

STANDARD DARK CORNISH young pullets and cockrels. hatched in the month of April show quality. 8 head total.... Tel: 337-305-3676 | Poultry - Chickens | 70586 | LA | 11/13/2008 | More Information

ETA: PS. If you are comfortable with it, can you PM me the OK info? I am close to OK and would like to have a nice dark cornish roo to put with my Delaware hens.

Last edited:
BeardedChick, no I didn't see that one. Where was it?

I won't be able to pay shipping for those, it's ungodly expensive to ship adult birds. It can cost about $90 to ship a single adult bird. I can't afford that. I'm going to call them and ask if they'd consider selling and shipping fertile eggs, though.

Thanks for the info, I appreciate all leads!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom