Crossing Cornish with others....

Dancing Bear, I think those are in LA.

ETA: LA = Lousiana, not Los Angeles.
hmm.png

Last edited:
Quote:
Thanks, Cason. I emailed them to see where they got the original stock. They came from Welp Hatchery, so they're probably not really what I'm looking for. They sound like decent birds, if you're not doing a serious breeding program, though, so I'm sure a lot of other folks might be interested in them.

Hi! I'm new here to the forum, I got started with Dark Cornish last April. I completely understand your frustration finding exhibition type birds.

Here's how I found mine:

1) American Poultry Association Yearbooks. My sister belongs to the Bantam Association, and I thumbed through and found three standard breeder advertisements.

2) The Cornish Club. The Secratary is Billy R Grimes, POBox 373, Leonard TX 75452.

3) I went to a show and met a breeder.

My Cornish are the calmest, sweetest birds on the farm. They are my chunky cuddle monkeys.

Ryu

Ryu, I also contacted Billy Grimes and found a breeder. But there aren't any near me, that I've found so far. Are yours full size or bantam? I want the big ones.

Are you near KY, by any wild chance?

There may be some shows nearby in the spring, I haven't found one yet.

ETA: I don't necessarily need exhibition quality birds, but I don't want hatchery quality. I need some good genes for breeding.

Last edited:
Mine are Standard. I'm in SE Iowa. I have a nice Heritage type rooster (not as wide as my exhibition roosters, but still a heavy bird) that I picked up at Ohio Nationals--oddly enough the guy I bought it from is from KY but I paid cash and I don't think I have his name--I can do a little hunting as see if I can find it.

I might still have an e-mail for someone in Indiana that has standard Cornish, if that is better/closer. I have a name for someone in Alabama also.

If I could find a breeder in KY, I would be thrilled! Yes, please let me know if you find his info.
Indiana's closer than where I found my guy, he's in Oklahoma. So Indy would be cool, too, especially if it's in the southern half of the state. Or Tennessee.

I haven't gotten out to shows much, just the State Fair. The ones I've known about were far enough away I'd have to get a room and stay overnight. I can't really afford to do things like that, on the chance I might find I breeder there who might sell me some birds or eggs. Add up a show or 3, or 4, that's some mighty expensive birds, by the time you get anything. My DH would have a cow!

It's much better to let my computer do the driving. So, thanks much!

Last edited:
Ooh, you're only a few hours from me, Ryu. Will you be selling hatching eggs this year?

If you don't like shipping I might be able to drive up. I'm supposed to be in St Louis in June. But I have hatching fever now, so I'm not opposed to paying for shipping
smile.png

Feel free to PM me.

I am trying a lot of different crosses right now. This is my first 'season' breeding, and I don't know what I'm going to get.

I will hopefully have extra young birds this spring. I will be testing crosses until June, so I don't know about hatching eggs for this year. If I have any I will let you know.

I will be doing a hard cull in Sept/Oct. and should have a few breeding trios/pairs then. I will do my best to get good birds to anyone interested in Cornish.

There is a couple shows early on in MO. One in Sedalia, and a bigger one further south? I have some friends in STL that I still visit, it shouldn't be hard to get birds to you. (I used to live in O'Fallon.)

Back
Top Bottom