Crossing cross breeds.

MuscovyMad

Chirping
9 Years
Dec 2, 2010
I bred different OEGB cockerels to pekin hens to give me a cross that has feathered feet and the athletic ability of the OEGB.

If i take 2 of these cross breds and mated them what is the likely outcome.

I'm guessing it's not simple Mendelian genetics with 4 chicks at a ratio of 1 almost pure pekin : 1 almost pure OEGB : 2 crosses.

Any help would be much appreciated.

I don't claim to be a genetics expert but you will have feather legged chickens in a wide range of colors. What colors of oeg and cochins did you cross? That might help someone give you a more accurate answer.

Last edited:
Basically, Leg-feathering is 80 genetic, and 20% hereditary. Crossing Leg Feathers to Clean legs, and you will have a hard time getting either for a long time. Genetically, the 'Clean-legs' that you will get in the F2 offspring will be brush-legged, and brush-legs seem to breed very true.

Cool. I was wanting the feathering to stay with them.

Very sad reason but i figured it would help them keep warmer as i read somewhere that they lose most of their heat through their legs and feet.

I was more curious about body shapes. As the originals (pekins and OEGB's) are very different. With the crosses being more like OEGB in shape but less solid and alot lighter. As a result they fly really well which is desirable as a stray dog killed my pekins but the crosses flew to safety.

Therfore i was wondering if i was likely to get any pekin body types when i cross the crosses.

Reason being i can't produce more of the original crosses due to a lack of pekins. And also the OEGB roo has turned nasty so i am finding him a new home without children.

As a result i will have a flock of crosses and therefore when it comes to breeding replacements i'm going to have to breed the crosses. (Obviously i could buy a different breed, but i really like my crosses)

Bit of a life story, but it helps set the picture.
smile.png

No, general body type is 100% hereditary. (there are things like comb and longtail, but you're not concerned with that) When you cross two breeds, the body type should be about in the middle of the two parent breeds. And it typically stays that way.

This is a young cockerel (can't remember how many weeks). Came form my cuckoo hen crossed with my black roo.

73059_jeremy_3.jpg

This one was the runt of the hatch. However she has turned out to be the largest of them all. I think she has a greater proportion of pekin in her.
73059_agatha.jpg

And this is a sister of the other two. She has just hatched 2 chicks from a different hen.
73059_sue.jpg

They are a very broody cross with the 2 shown above born in march already having been broody.

When i get more pics i will post them. Seens as these scruffy teen photos don't really give a true representation of them as adults.

Back
Top Bottom