Crossing Polish roo with Cochin hens...

funnybirds

Songster
9 Years
Oct 16, 2010
Has anybody done this?
I have a white crested black Polish roo and a buff Cochin and a Black Cochin hen.

I am curious about gene dominance with the crest , comb, color variations and feather legs. What shows up and what dissapears?

Does anybody know ?

My chickens are young, my roo looks very busy and about half of the eggs I have checked appear fertile...

I have to rehome the roo soon as he is an all day crower and we live in the burbs. As I hatched him myself I'd like to have at least one of his offspring around, hopefully a hen this time.

Thanks in advance.

I can give you my experience - I crossed a black frizzled cochin roo w/my B/B/S polish hens. Excluding the frizzling - About 50% have SOME crest (by that, somewhere between three feathers sticking up out of the top of thier heads to CLOSE to a polish's crest). None have a full crest. None are bearded yet. Some combs. About half have some feathering of the feet, but not much. The rooster had heavy feet feathering.

I call them my nons. About 50% of them have absolutely no traits from the polish or the cochin and look more like a blackbird. lol They are cute as they can be but I was very surprised at the number that don't look like either parent, other than the color. When it stops raning will get a pic or two of some of them. A few are so cute/ugly that I am going to have to keep them - black body, white head and less than 12 black feathers sticking out the top of thier head.

I wonder what difference it will make with the rooster a polish and your hen a cochin? Will be interesting to see.

good luck

Quote:
Thank you!
I set 11 eggs yesterday. Hopefully some will hatch...
I'd love too see pictures but I totally get the endless rain. Hopefully you will get some sun soon

Back
Top Bottom