Crossing question

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by poultryfan73, Nov 29, 2011.

1. poultryfan73

poultryfan73 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2010
    Tioga County Pa
    If I crossed white orpington hens with a silver laced Wyandotte rooster could I get silver laced orpingtons? Or what if I crossed a white orp rooster with silver laced Wyandotte hens?

2. draye

draye Overrun With Chickens

Nov 30, 2010
    Arkansas
    Depends on if the white is recessive or dominant.

Either way silver over white or white over silver you will get either solid black if recessive or solid white if dominate.

3. Ducks and Banny hens

Ducks and Banny hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 22, 2011
    On a little Farm.
    Quote:Seconded![​IMG] (Notice that this smiley is a white hen![​IMG]

4. tadkerson

tadkerson Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    Missouri
    Quote:It is not that simple- you can get started and after 5 years or so and a bunch of culled chickens- you may have a silver laced orpington.

Tim

5. poultryfan73

poultryfan73 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2010
    Tioga County Pa
    Yeahh I didn't think it was that easy haha I was just curious

6. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    Now you guys have me wondering if the white in white orps is dominant or recessive. Like I need to know! But it's going to drive me nuts till I find out. I'm guessing recessive.

7. kfacres

kfacres Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2011
    Quote:most white is dominate white-- and so it masks everything else. I wonder what the base color of the white orpington would be.. what color were they created from, I guess would be the question... That would help lead to determine what the outcomes would be, and how hard it would be to develop this cross.

Would it be better to use a black orpington, on a SLW?

8. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    Quote:most white is dominate white-- and so it masks everything else. I wonder what the base color of the white orpington would be.. what color were they created from, I guess would be the question... That would help lead to determine what the outcomes would be, and how hard it would be to develop this cross.

I had heard, and I don't know if any of this is correct or not, that white orps were made using white rocks. And that the white in white rocks is recessive. As I said, I've no idea if any of this is true or not.

ETA: It might be easier to start with a buff rather than a black.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2011
  9. kfacres

kfacres Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2011

I had heard, and I don't know if any of this is correct or not, that white orps were made using white rocks. And that the white in white rocks is recessive. As I said, I've no idea if any of this is true or not.

ETA: It might be easier to start with a buff rather than a black.

It was my understanding, that buff is the worst color pattern to try and do anything with.. It's even more complicated, and unsure in terms of breeding on than even white...

10. tadkerson

tadkerson Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    Missouri
    Quote:Research that I have read indicates most white birds are recessive white. Some individual recessive white birds may also carry dominant white. You will not know until you cross the birds.

Recessive white birds could be anything under the white- could be black. Black would be ok to start with- buff has too many genes to deal with.

Tim

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by