Crossing Question

sekeyslaks

Crowing
9 Years
Jun 25, 2014
I want to invest in a more varied flock,and one of the breeds I was thinking of getting is Blue Andalusians,and I was wondering whether anyone has done an Andalusian/EE cross,because I want to breed my EE rooster to some Andalusian hens to experiment.I was hoping someone could tell me genetics wise what the resulting chicks would look like?And the egg laying ability and color.
Here is a picture of my rooster!
so you can see his coloring.

Hellllloooooooooo?Calling all BYC!
smile.png

It's going to vary, depending on the color of your ee and whether your andalusians are blue, splash, or black in color. Blue andalusians have all three. If you google chicken calculator you can get some ideas. EE's being pretty diverse in their color genetics it's hard to tell whats hiding.
Guessing that he's gold columbian, a possible result could be: half Blue and half black from a phenotypically blue hen.

I may need a crash course on how to use the chicken calculator! especially since I am unsure of my rooster's color,you say gold columbian,another person said he looks like a ginger red.I'm not sure what I should put as his color in the calculator!

Different breed circles use different terms for the same colors, and sometimes the same name for different colors. So it seems anyway. And some that look alike don't produce the same results in crosses. For example Gold duckwing, Wheaten and Partridge Roosters look alike to you and me,but the hens look very different.That said, if you click on the "show examples" button it will show you pictures of the various genotypes. You choose one for the male and one for the female then click on the "calculate crossing" button. It will show you both the phenotype: what the chicken looks like, and the genotype: What the genes are. It really gets interesting when you choose "continue with this...(male or female)" to see what will happen when you breed your crosses. Your rooster looks like what Henk is calling Buff Columbian. If you play around with it you'll get the hang of it. Have fun.

Back
Top Bottom