Crossing suggestions for a welsummer rooster (meat)

Olympiad

Hatching
Apr 29, 2024
Hello,

I've got my heart set on getting a welsummer rooster with 2-3 welsummer hens but I would like to get 2 or so hens of another breed to cross with the welsummer rooster with the goals of raising them for meat as a welsummer alone is probably not worth it.

I've heard that a light sussex would be a good option that people often cross but I'm wondering if an orpington or australorp would be better?

plymouth rock might be another option but for unknown reasons I absolutely hate the look of them so unless they provide a significant advantage over the earlier mentioned birds I probably won't go with them

Let me know of any suggestions or experiences you have!

If you want to make a good cross, I would suggest getting the birds from breeders that breeds for size. To be able to get good sized birds using hatchery birds would take years upon years. So basically, get good starting stock. I am not the best with what crosses would be best, however good starting stock is key.

My local poultry club has an auction on this upcoming weekend so I'm hoping their might be something decent there, if not its only a short drive and a nice morning out lol

Back
Top Bottom