Crossing to create something that will last...

Tiegrsi

Songster
Jul 19, 2016
Burgaw, NC
So...like many others on here, I have an idea. A very small thought about a very big plan. I am still learning about genetics, so I'm hoping either someone will be able to help me very specifically, or at least point me in the right direction to find information.

I am still very much in the research phase. My intent is to create a new breed, and there are 3 possibilities that I have gone over in my mind. Whichever I choose, I would like to know that I will be able to breed it to others of its kind and produce offspring that are genetically (and physically) similar to its parents. I would like the hens to lay the same color eggs as their mothers, and so on.

So here is my question - and I hope there is an available answer:

Is there a list somewhere or recessive vs dominant chicken genes? Even if it's not an all encompassing list (because I'm sure that's not even possible at this point), or even if there are several lists, like, one for combs and one for leg color and one for egg color, etc.

Here is the kippenjungle color calculator
Here is the kippenjungle breed calculator.

Note that unless you know the color genes of your chickens (even the ones you don't see) the calculator isn't going to be very helpful.

The k gene (feathering speed) is not included and is sexlinked. Fast feathering is dominant; slow feathering is recessive and additive.

I think the color calculator is easier to use, but I began with it, so that might affect my impressions.

Good luck and have fun!

Back
Top Bottom