Crossing White Rock Hens with a Orpington Roo?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by stormylady, May 2, 2011.

1. stormylady

stormylady Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2008
    Illinois
    Just wondering, My Orpington Roo is huge with a huge breast and was wondering if I crossed him with white rock hens if I would get a nice meatie bird, I know that when I got chicks from him and my cochins the girls were very big girls. Havent processed them to see what the meat is like because they are really great layers. But wondering about making meat birds out of the White Rocks with him?? Thanks for the input.

2. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    [​IMG] but it is worth a try. See what you get. [​IMG]

3. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

You'd likely have a decent bird, but somewhat slow developing. Most folks don't like to feed their meat birds as long as these type traditional crosses take, time wise.

4. Bearsfan

Bearsfan Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2009
    Hannibal, MO
    Try it out!

Post pics, we will watch! [​IMG]

5. speedy2020

speedy2020 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2010
    I don't have the cross but someone else around here does. The cross have light yellow with white & black feather around the neck. It looks almost like to Lemon Orpington. I did ask the owner to buy some eggs in the future for my meaty project. He did mention they lay well during warm weather.

6. stormylady

stormylady Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2008
    Illinois
    Thanks everyone for your replies!
    speedy2020 thank you. I think I will try and see what I get too. Im trying cornish x right now but would like to be able to have a sustainable flock, but the issue of feeding for a longer time still has me thinking about it. Was your friend using a Buff Orp Roo? mine is blue so not sure if the coloring would be the same but they (lemon) orpington sounds cool.

Last edited: May 3, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by