Crow once or twice, now nothing?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kara_leigh, Jun 2, 2011.

1. kara_leigh

kara_leigh Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2011
    Bradleyville, MO
    Last weekend and earlier this week I heard my first crow. Since my chickens (10ish weeks) free range all day and since my husband is dragging his feet building me a coop, I still keep them in a brooder at night. I have it on wheels so I keep it in my husband's shop at night and then move it outside so they can go in and out of it as they please through the door/ramp I had my husband put in the side of it.

Anyway...on Saturday I hear my first crow from a bird I thought for sure was a pullet. The next day, he crowed again and another bird crowed also for the first time. The day after that, the second bird crowed again and so did a couple other birds. Since then, nothing. A couple of them crowed two days in a row, the others only once. When they did crow, it was only once or twice, and before they got out of the brooder. Once out, they didn't crow again.

I thought maybe if I delayed opening the door that maybe they would crow again, but it didn't work. Why did they stop crowing? I know someday I'm going to be going crazy b/c of all the crowing, but right now I'm loving it. lol

2. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    My young roo was like that too. He crowed only once in a while. I was almost relieved, but now that he's a BIG roo, he crows all day. night and day. ALL day. ALL the time. Enjoy it while it lasts. [​IMG]

3. teeville5

teeville5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    Michigan
    My roo crowed once at 8 weeks and then didn't crow again until 12 weeks. Then he decided to wait a few more days before having another go. I think they just need time to grow their confidence and get into it. He's crowed a few times every day since and usually in the morning. It's not the boldest of crows, but he's working on it. [​IMG]

4. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    He doesn't feel like it. [​IMG] Don't worry, he'll be crowing plenty before long.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by