Crowd source coop interior

kirghizstan

In the Brooder
5 Years
Sep 19, 2014
Mass, USA
I'm in the process of building the walls for a 12x6' enclosed coop/run similar to this https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/911139/hidden-forest-coop

The coop will occupy a 4x6' spot on the right raised 2' to allow for additional run space. The front 4' section is south facing, and there will be no access to the 4' side on the back as it will be against a garage. I would like to use the deep litter method.

Can you help me design the best layout for the interior.

I've gone through lots of designs, but none seem right so I'm turning to you.

Can't anyone help me with an ideal layout?
It sounds like you want someone to design your coop interior for you. I think most folks are hesitant to undertake that because it is dependent on your particular situation which we know almost nothing about. I'm also pretty sure most people looking at this thread would encourage you to do it yourself and would point you to the literally thousands of threads, pictures, articles and suggestions all readily available within these forums. I don't want to sound like a pr*ck but the information is out there and it's up to you to go take advantage of it.

One of the layout tips that we stumbled on accidentally, but have seen highlighted since in a few posts, is to arrange the layout so they don't have to walk under the roosts and the inevitable poop piles under them, to get anywhere they need to go. The roosts should be as high as you can get them, because that's what the chickens like, and be positioned along the far wall, so they're not in any traffic area the chickens half to walk through to get to the nest boxes, food, or the exit door. This keeps their feet, nest boxes, and their feed area cleaner.

Last edited:
Should nest boxes be as high up as well?

Could you put the chicken entrance under the nest boxes if they were raised 2 feet or should it be away from the entrance?

I have a large piece of rubber (tire tube thickness) that I could attach to the floor but even if it is fairly thick do you think I'm better off buying the roofing material that I could paint onto the floor. don't want the hens ripping through the rubber and making me have to redo the floor.

Was thinking something like this.

Ramp - green
water - blue
feeder - grey
roosts - black
nesting boxes - maroon

blue door opens from top to bottom of the coop for cleanout and feeding

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom