Crowing? already? Do I have a chicken prodigy on my hands?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by JAK Rabbitry, Sep 15, 2010.

1. JAK Rabbitry

JAK Rabbitry Chillin' With My Peeps

So for the past week I thought the pitiful crowing was coming from a stall that has a couple 3-4 month old roosters in them.
    Though yesterday, I'm feeding the chickens in the brooder....and it turns out here be the source!
    This is my first time raising Jersey Giant so I didn't know if it was unusual for them to start crowing so early.... they are 8 weeks and 2 days old today. I thought they matured slower due to their size, actually. But before you ask...definitely a crow. Pitiful to say the least.... that squawking unsure.... "Er.....ERRR????" And he responds to the big roosters crowing outside the barn.

So....genius chicken or is this normal?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 15, 2010
  2. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    Normal. Hearing another Rooster will get them going early. Thought 2 months is not really early.

My last run of chicks set a record here. I had an Ameraucana or a Maran start crowing(squeek with intention) at 3 DAYS OLD! Sounded like the little thing was choking to death.

Matt

3. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    Well my Brahma boys are really retarded....they didn't start until over 6 months! (for which I am grateful).

Those Jersey Giants really do start to sing early.

Sandie

4. JAK Rabbitry

JAK Rabbitry Chillin' With My Peeps

Ah! Thanks for all the info. We bought 100+ chicks of various breeds this year and none of them started crowing until they a good couple months old, so I was a bt astounded to see this guy crowing already!
    Thanks again.

-JAK

5. Tomhusker

Tomhusker Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2010
    Hamburg, Iowa
    My BR was 13 weeks. I have a Lavender Orpington at 13 weeks that has not crowed.

6. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Normal. One of my LF brahmas (also a late maturing breed) started crowing at 10 weeks old. The same week he started trying to mate some seriously opposed pullets.

7. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    It's normal.

You see this guy --------> [​IMG]

He was 4 DAYS old when he started crowing.

8. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Yup, I've had at least three different cockerels, three different breeds, crow before they were a week old. It's precious!

9. Lbrad7

Lbrad7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2010
    Ringgold, GA
    Quote:I thought my Sebright had set a record for crowing at 2 weeks.Your bird at 3 days has to be the new bench mark. I thought he was choking on something but once I started really watching him, I noticed he was stretching that neck out like he was a grown roo! Now at 23 weeks, he is a lean mean crowing machine. My cochins are the same age and have just now started to crow.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by