Crowing and newly bossy hen

AggieKat

Chirping
May 3, 2021
DFW area Texas
Hey y’all. I have one Australorp hen, 2 years old, that used to be at the bottom of the pecking order (1 of 3, then 2 until I had to put my other hen down a few weeks ago). I have one small flock of 3 pullets, 3 months old, that I’ve been trying to integrate with her for a month—did the side by side runs/coops, look but don’t touch, and together free range time. Well, this bossy hen is now the head hen and has decided to start crowing. She crows when she wants something-more food or to be let out, and definitely first thing in the morning once she’s out in the run. Is this normal? And is it as loud as a rooster because then I’ll have to figure out what to do with her? 😭

She’s my last girl of my Australorp flock and the only egg layer right now. Also, she is still pecking at the babies and won’t really let them in “her” run, which is the bigger part. They are stuck to staying under the coop until she leaves.

So, in short, how do I make her stop crowing like a nut and when will my 3 pullets finally stop taking her crap and be able to be in the same space as her? They are finally all roosting in the same coop and she pecks them if they get too close on the roosting bar.

Video of her ridiculous crow

Last edited:
Sitting here laughing. I sold my older layer flock and kept one Starlight Green Egger who was at the bottom of the pecking order. When the new chicks were old enough I put them together. The Starlight of course started showing them she was boss. It got so bad I put peepers on her for awhile. After, she was still boss but wasn't a terrorist, they all got along. She is a consistent layer, my best. In June I saw her mount some of the pullets, then she started crowing. She crows all the time now.

Back
Top Bottom