Crowing at 12:30 am.. UGH

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Jennyhaschicks, Sep 29, 2008.

1. Jennyhaschicks

Jennyhaschicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2008
    Maine
    My roosters were crowing early this morning and they never do that. Is that a normal thing that can happen or do you think something might have spooked them? As far as I know they have never been crowing in the middle of the night.

2. Sugar Sand Farm

Sugar Sand Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2007
    North Florida
    We have Banties who crow all night . Thankfully we have no close neighbors. Our larger roosters don't seem to crow as much.At least not until morning.lol With the banties on one side and the larger chickens on the other we have crowing contests all day long.I have finally gotten used to the crowing at night now i only hear it if i happen to get during the night.Maybe yours is answering another crazy rooster.

3. SSO202

SSO202 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2008
    Hartwood, VA 22406
    I would guess that something was spooking them and the crowing was an attempt to scare it off. If you hear that again it maybe time to get up and check. I would reevaluate your predator protection and make sure there are no vulnerable spots. Good Luck!

You are right about living in Maine! I was up there this summer. It is the way life should be for sure.

4. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

Mine dont ever crow that late at night. Here lately they have been hunkered down for the evening around 7pm and getting ready for bed. And then you dont hear a peep out of them until 5am....

5. moenmitz

moenmitz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Mine crow any time they feel like it, day or night. They are young and recently started, so I think they like to get in extra "practice"

6. Jennyhaschicks

May 3, 2008
    Maine
    Quote:I have 3 roosters and the one that was crowing is an experienced crower. This is the only time he has done this in the middle of the night. Weird. I guess I had better pay close attention to them.

7. texaschickmama

texaschickmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Poolville, TX
    Usually, that means that something spooked him enough to alert the hens. MAYBE, he was just showing off his newly obtained crowing skills. [​IMG]

8. scooter147

scooter147 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Missouri
    Have you recently installed a dusk to dawn light or leaving a porch light or something on the rooster can see?

Years ago at the place I use to live we had a dusk to dawn light installed and this sent the roosters into crowing heaven. They never crowed in the middle of the night until the dusk to dawn light was installed. At the time the coop was close to the house so we installed black out curtains on the coop windows. [​IMG]

9. Jennyhaschicks

May 3, 2008
    Maine
    Quote:Well I do have a light out there in the chicken house for my babies. They are penned off in their own portion. They are going on 7 weeks old, but it's been getting so chilly here in
    Maine I leave the light on. The light has been out there for about 3 weeks now and that was the first night they crowed. They haven't crowed in the middle of the night since.
    Maybe they did get spooked. I always wondered if they would make a noise in the middle of the night if there was some sort of predator coming in or anything like that.

10. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

Sounds to me like something set them off...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by