Crowing at 4 weeks??

ImperialTrick

In the Brooder
Mar 27, 2015
Am I crazy or what? I just heard quiet crowing coming from my Brooder, they stopped when I went into the room so I don't know exactly who it was, but this is my oldest chick a sebright who is 4 weeks old. Male or female? Can they crow that young??

Am I crazy or what? I just heard quiet crowing coming from my Brooder, they stopped when I went into the room so I don't know exactly who it was, but this is my oldest chick a sebright who is 4 weeks old. Male or female? Can they crow that young??

If he's crowing that young, he's a roo. We have a ten week old OEG bantam who was crowing by four weeks (making a choking gargling sound) and some cream legbars practicing their crows starting between three and four weeks. Meanwhile I have an EE who didn't crow til seven months.

I don't personally know much about the breed but I noticed the tag on it's leg did you purchase the chick with that already on or did you put it on? Sometimes hatcheries are asked to sex chicks that are being sent to be sold at feed(or in our case hardware) stores and they do that either by coloring the feathers on their heads or by putting tags on their legs so that people will be able to choose according to what they are looking for. And most often they will 'mark' the males because there aren't as many.

Back
Top Bottom