crowing hen-how to stop it?

Cackling rooster and crowing hen come to no good end.

Get a real rooster and the situation will correct itself.

Rufus

Just as it happens in other animals and in humans, I think that some chicken are born with both sex organs in place. That would explain a hen changing to a rooster and being able to fertilize eggs. The testes and vas deferens were probably there from the start.

Quote:
That seems like two different birds. When my hens change they still look like hens. Just odd looking. The change is never that big.

The source listed for that "article" is The Daily Mail, a British tabloid. I doubt it is a true story. The Daily Mail has been sued in the past for libel and printing falsehoods.

Quote:
That seems like two different birds. When my hens change they still look like hens. Just odd looking. The change is never that big.

The source listed for that "article" is The Daily Mail, a British tabloid. I doubt it is a true story. The Daily Mail has been sued in the past for libel and printing falsehoods.

Makes sense!

Quote:
I always heard it " Whistling girls & crowing hens always come to some bad end". Not quite sure why girls aren't supposed to whistle?

Last edited:
It is extremely rare to have this happen. But it is known to happen in species of fish. Allot of the time it has to happen because the male specifically is rare. And they must do this to survive

Hens can crow yes. But they are unable to take on all the duties of a Rooster, like the fertilization of the egg. They can do this to show dominance in the flock.
If a Hen is crowing and laying doesnt necciserily mean its transgendered. It can only be like I said if it can fertilize the egg. And if so then its a miracle.

Quote:
Some Males/Roosters may take longer to mature. In this case its just a late bloomer. A Rooster at that.

Well, I will just have to wait and see if she lays. I am still waiting for the whole flock to lay their first eggs. Anyday now, their combs are growing and turning redder each day.

I had a crowing hen once. She was top of the pecking order at a time when we didn't have chickens.

I rehomed her.

I'd rather hear a real rooster crow!

I have a 6 month old Sebright hen that has been laying now for about a month. She also started to full out crow about 2 weeks ago. We have roos although they are young. I took a video clip of her crowing and got an egg from her the same day. I haven't heard her crow in about 4-5 days now and she's laying regularly. Have to wait and see what happens.

Back
Top Bottom