crowing hen

3cutechicks

In the Brooder
10 Years
Feb 11, 2009
Newbury Park, CA
Ok this morning I heard one of the step sisters crowing like a rooster. I went out there and she just kept crowing it was cute but annoying since we have neighbors. Eventually she stopped when I gave them some apples. What's up with that?
yippiechickie.gif

If you are certain she's a hen, then this really isn't that uncommon. Basically, the girls are deciding that the abscence of a rooster means someone has to take charge. Your girl says, "Listen to me, you follow my orders now," and in return crows like a male would, trying to stimulate her status. If this continues, you may even notice her trying to mate the other hens, sometimes they will even grow spurs and stop egg-production.

Yeah, when there is no rooster hens will sometimes crow, I have experienced this after I took my rooster away from my birds. It's funny, not quite a full cock-a-doodle-doo, but you can here a crow.

One of my two girls crows and they have never lived with a rooster! Every morning she wakes me up, crowing at the top of her lungs! It cracks me up but it drives me nuts! LOL

I have had them since august I think and they came from a ranch with roosters so they were use to roosters and hatching eggs. After I went out there and fed her apples she stopped. A friend of ours in 4H said she is probably the Alpha female and she is because she is always the one to tell me someone laid an egg.

Back
Top Bottom