Crowing hen

Ajoy1955

Songster
Jul 1, 2023
Greeneville Tennessee
Hello all Happy New Year! I have a Silver Laced Wyandotte who is 29 months old, she is my dominant hen and a good egg layer, but, sometimes she will identify as a rooster and will crow before she is let out of the coop ..she is the “Mother Hen” with her flock of 4, should I be concerned?

I also have a crowing hen. She’s 6 yrs old, the only bantam in her flock, and she has a delightful squeaky little crow every morning. Only in the mornings. Or if she gets incarcerated in the basement when broody or when it’s below 0º outside.

You only need to worry if there's a ban on roosters in your area.
Good luck convincing them it's a hen making the noise, but a noise ordinance could trump any gender issues anyway.
You only need to worry if there's a ban on roosters in your area.
Good luck convincing them it's a hen making the noise, but a noise ordinance could trump any gender issues anyway.
fortunately I live in the county, and my neighbors two streets over has a Rooster… so I’m pretty safe

So, she's 2 and a half years old and crows sometimes.
That is not uncommon, crowing is not gender specific noise but males do it as practice. Once my cockerels started crowing, my crowing hen stopped.

I also have a crowing hen. She’s 6 yrs old, the only bantam in her flock, and she has a delightful squeaky little crow every morning. Only in the mornings. Or if she gets incarcerated in the basement when broody or when it’s below 0º outside.

I am so pleased to know that hens will crow! One of my three original chickens was a male. Today my silver-laced Wyandotte let a crow fly. She is stressed because I moved them inside because their coop was flooding. She is about 6 months old. I guess she could be a Roo....I hope not. I also hatched some silkie eggs and 3 of the 5 are probably males, they are 9 weeks old. From now on I will purchase sexed chicks. Or rescue hens in need. I am not allowed to have roosters where I live.

I am so pleased to know that hens will crow! One of my three original chickens was a male. Today my silver-laced Wyandotte let a crow fly. She is stressed because I moved them inside because their coop was flooding. She is about 6 months old. I guess she could be a Roo....I hope not. I also hatched some silkie eggs and 3 of the 5 are probably males, they are 9 weeks old. From now on I will purchase sexed chicks. Or rescue hens in need. I am not allowed to have roosters where I live.
Can you post a picture of your pullet?

Can you post a picture of your pullet?
Here it is. That curved feather on the tail is new. The was another one before this one, but it fell out. The comb was tight to her head before this picture. I really hope she is still a pullet!

Attachments

• IMG_0065.jpg
    IMG_0065.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 6

Back
Top Bottom