Crowing Hen?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by tinalina526, Jul 20, 2011.

1. tinalina526

tinalina526 New Egg

Jul 20, 2011
    Is it possible for hens to crow? We're new to having laying hens. Ours are 4 months old and we have one (Americana) that just started crowing and mounting the other hens ... is it possible for a hen to crow and is she just being aggressive or did we get a rooster without knowing it? How can we tell if it's male or female? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. This_chicks_place

This_chicks_place Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2011
    Upstate NY
    Sounds like rooster behavior! [​IMG]

3. tinalina526

tinalina526 New Egg

Jul 20, 2011
    Bummer. Thanks for the info!

4. swmalone

swmalone Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2011
    Northern Utah
    You should post some pictures in the what breed/sex forum. Be sure to put the age and and breed in the topic and just say hen or roo. I have three birds and I heard what sounded like crowing. Well I have heard it three times over about a 4 week period, but nothing in two weeks. Mine are all about 18 weeks old, but I posted pictures on that forum and got some good feedback. It wasn't unanimous but I am going to wait and see and hope for all hens since I can't identify the crower and it hasn't happened in a while, and no other roo activities.

5. hcppam

hcppam Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:yes if you could send pics. And welcome to [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by