Crowing hens

Here Peony has hopped onto the porch step indicating it's time to go back inside.
Sitting next to large bunny pen in the middle of the room. My dear Roo (not in this pic) died 2 years ago. They were buddies and used to sit next to each other.
Uh oh.. here comes her ornery look!

P.S. Definitely a hen, tiny eggs and all. She had a vet check a month ago and (though older than these pics) she got the seal of approval.

Oh Dear! Looks like I'm wrong about Peony's breed. I just got side tracked looking at all the beautiful breeds and came upon an Old English Bantam Silver Duckwing. Also saw one called Fawn Silver Duckwing. Am I correct?
She constantly chortles, cackles to herself. When I got my first set of chickens, she early on flew up on my shoulder and cackled like a witch. She's very outgoing and rather fearless. My bird room has a french door. She sits on the inside and stares out at my cats on the other side of the pane. They lick their lips and "chirp" but she just taunts them!

I had crowing hens in the past and I even named one Crowing Hen. But they never crowed until the were three or more years old. My Belgian D'Uccle was my last hen to crow and she was seven years old. She is now nine and hasn't crowed in two years.

I would think a young bird that is crowing is probably a rooster.

Back
Top Bottom