Crowing/mating age for Cockerels

Courtkneekp

In the Brooder
Sep 23, 2020
When did your boys start crowing? Was this before or after they “became a man”? 🥴

We have two 10 week old Black Copper Marans cockerels(pictures included because they’re handsome), and neither is trying to crow,yet. I think our larger boy TRIED to mount one of our EE hens, though

I’m just trying to gauge if this is normal, or when to expect it.

We’ll have to rehome one of the boys soon because we only have 11 hens, but we’re trying to wait and see their personalities. Any tips?

Attachments

duckiemum

Crowing
Sep 30, 2020
Georgia
I had one start at 8 weeks, one at 12, and one that still hasn't crowed at 4 months. It all depends on the cockerel. I've had some mount hens when they are 8-10 weeks. When choosing the cockerel to keep, I would choose the one that is nicest to the pullets.

sourland

Broody Magician
Premium Feather Member
May 3, 2009
New Jersey
I've had cockerels crow in the brooder (bantams) and others that didn't crow until 8 or 9 months old - larger slower maturing breeds. Keeping both as long as is possible is a great idea to assess their personalities and physical characteristics. Good luck in getting a GOOD rooster from the two of them.

Courtkneekp

In the Brooder
Sep 23, 2020
Thank you for the info! I’m enjoying the quiet for now. It’s hard to tell much about their personalities so far, but I think it helps that our hens are 6 months old. They won’t let the boys be bullies lol

Top Bottom