"Crowing" pullet - can she be fixed?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by allisojo, Apr 25, 2009.

1. allisojo

allisojo Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2008
    Nuevo Mexico
    Hi all - one of my three RIR pullets - all around 9 months old - thinks she's a cockerel. Her comb and wattles have increased in size and color. She's stopped laying and is now crowing - or at least is attempting to. She's generally acting like a roo too. She's more aggressive, alerts the flock to predators, pecks at my feet when I'm in the coop and run, etc. We don't have a roo any more, and she's definitely trying to fill the void. Is there anything I can do to change her behavior and get her laying again? Tried searching for topics, but I'm not very good at searching. Any help would be appreciated very much. Thanks!

2. KattyKillFish

KattyKillFish Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2009
    Dillingham, Alaska
    i've had that problem only once, and getting another roo does the trick quite well [​IMG] if you don't like roos too well, you can let him establish dominance (i would wait 6 months) and then have him caponized (spelling?)

3. BAYAREABIRDER

BAYAREABIRDER Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2009
    She is trying to be " top hen" because the ruler [ mr. roo ], is gone. Maybe get a bantam roo to stop her???

4. WalkingWolf

WalkingWolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2009
    North Carolina
    Except for the crowing it sounds like broody behavior. A brooding hen gets very aggressive. Not sure about the comb and wattles, I have seen some hens with good sized combs. One of my game hens(RIP) had rooster like comb and wattles, and was aggressive. She passed attacking a predator(hawk) just like a rooster. But she was still laying up until that day.

5. BAYAREABIRDER

BAYAREABIRDER Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2009
    My ee hen honks like a goose!!! I dont mind. She LOVES tohonk her thoughts to the flock, and LaRoo, our rooster.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2009
  6. allisojo

Nov 16, 2008
    Nuevo Mexico
    Could be broody, I guess, but she's not sitting on the nest and she's not laying. She's definitely crowing too. I just don't know how to get her to start laying again. She's only nine months old. Hmmmmm. I guess I'll be the active rooster?

7. Dragonwolf

Dragonwolf New Egg

Aug 23, 2008
    I got two auracanas and two salmon Faverolles... The Auracanas are being rather aggresive and pecking the feathers right out of the poor Favs. Cathy, one of hte Auras, sometimes gives out a hearty <"B-Caack!!"[​IMG]
    I'm open to comments/suggestions, as well!

8. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    A friend of mine just had this problem with one of her Wyandottes that's about 13 months old...we brought her to my house and housed her with my roo, and the behavior immediately stopped...only to immediately restart when she got home with no roos!!

9. allisojo

Nov 16, 2008
    Nuevo Mexico
    Update: well, I ended up just treating her like I would a roo. I picked her up, held her under my arm for a while, etc. After two days of that, she's been acting more like a hen. No crowing this morning, no pecking others, but she's still not laying (at least I think she's not laying). I'll keep you all posted as to what's going on. I don't want to get a rooster just to cure her "habits," but I might have to. Thanks for all the advice.

10. montcapu

montcapu Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2008
    laingsburg, MI
    yes please keep u sposted on her progressive

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by