crowing question form Oklahoma

J Family

In the Brooder
12 Years
Dec 31, 2007
We have a bantie rooster "Lincoln" who started crowing several weeks ago...we were sooo excited to hear his new voice, but now he won't stop. He crows for several hours every morning and frequently throughout the day.

We're wondering if the crowing might decrease some with age.

Our dominque, who is 4 weeks older than Lincoln, just started crowing last week. We are thinking of giving him to my dad because we're not sure we can get away with two roosters in suburbia--and he's become aggressive towards the other ladies since his manhood arrived.

So my second question is, could the absence of another rooster, make Lincoln crow less.

Thank You so much for any ideas

Not sure about the 2 roosters I have 2 and the crow for about 5 minutes in the morning then nothing.

By the way since you are an OKIE you must go to the OKies in the BYC (where am I , where are you?) and talk on that thread there are getting to be a few of I think there is 32 or 33 last count.

Kasi

My rooster just started crowing two weeks ago. At first it was only when I came out to let them out of the coop and then he would stop. Now he crows a good half hour before I get out there and then another half our or so after he is let into the run. I hope it doesn't get any worse then that. He's a great rooster but I still worry about making the neighbors unhappy. He is young but still gave us a warning when two hawks were circling around the yard and fields behind my house...

It may help to only have one roo. The competition between the two will cause the two to try to out crow each other....plus your hens won't be suject to constant badgering from both. The number of crows will lessen with age, but that could take some time for him to get over himself.
lau.gif

bigzio

First of all WELCOME to BYC
big_smile.png
always good to have another Okie with us.......
My old roo did the same thing..........crowed all day off and on.............I lost him to a coyote.........but sure miss his crowing..........but then again........it never bothered me....I hope you find a solution that works for you.

Jfamily, Good to have you in our group. Let me know where you are from and I will add you to our ever growing list of "Okies in the BYC"
P.S. Bantams crow more than standards. I have five roosters right now and none of them crow much. Not much help am I?
Monty

I agree with Monty, banties crow more than standards. My neighbor's banty OE crows ALL the time, and its been the only one until mine started crowing recently.

Hey, where in Oklahoma are you located? What kinds of chickens do you have? And welcome to the board!

Thank you everyone for your warm welcome and wise suggestions...

I gave my dominque roo and a hen to my dad before I read the last two replies about banties crowing more. We wouldn't have been able to give Lincoln up regardless. He's a black game looking bantie rooster with a lot of spunk and personality. Since the other rooster is gone, he's taken to crowing at 4am and on and on. We kinda like it, and the neighbors haven't complained yet.

We now have 2 americanas, a silkie, a japenese bantie, a big red hen, a big black hen, and our little rooster.

Thanks again,
J Family
sapulpa, ok

Back
Top Bottom