1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Crowing Roosters

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by enggass, Dec 1, 2010.

1. enggass

enggass Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2010
    Mid-Coast Maine
    I know all roosters crow to some extent... but are there any particular breeds that that the roosters tend to crow less than others?
    How are BCM, BLRW and BW Americauna in terms of crowing breeds...

2. punky rooster

punky rooster Awesome

Jul 21, 2010
    bantams are quieter then LF. my SPPR bantams don't crow very much
    my buckeyes are over all quiet
    It mostly depends on the rooster they are all different

3. BeardedLadyFarm

BeardedLadyFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2009
    Cobleskill NY
    I have some Seramas with almost comical crows they're so quiet.

I've heard very loud BLRWs, BCMs, and Ameraucanas. Unless you find a freakishly quiet one, expect some noise.

4. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Black Copper Marans can be either loud or quiet, but one thing is for sure - Their crow is low pitched enough that it isn't quite so annoying.

Ameraucanas can be pretty loud. They love the sound of their voice. [​IMG] - And they're on the higher pitched notes, too, so it really belts out.

As for an actual quiet breed - Oriental Gamefowl, I'd say. They don't crow often, and if they do, it is a VERY deep crow, also a very short crow. To me it is such a beautiful thing to hear.

5. DTchickens

DTchickens Overrun With Chickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    Quote:Second the Oriental gamefowl thing, for a less aggressive breed (towards other birds). You could do Brahmas, supposedly they're similar to the Orientals, and do not have the game trait so that you have to keep them separate.

-Daniel

6. enggass

enggass Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2010
    Mid-Coast Maine
    Thanks. What are some of the breeds for Oriental Gamefowl?

7. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    I have a couple of beautiful Black Sumatra roosters that crow VERY infrequently. I love the sound of their crows.
    They do, however, tend to be rooster aggressive if you plan on more than one boy in your flock.

8. Debbi

Debbi Overrun With Chickens

May 2, 2010
    Missouri
    My BCM cockerels all crow only in the morning when first let out of the coop. I get maybe ten crows, then that's it for the day. My neighbor's RIR and BRs crow all day long! [​IMG]

9. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Quote:Smaller birds may crow with fewer decibels, but their pitch can be MUCH higher, and far more annoying. I will take a low bellow over a screetch any day [​IMG]

Some birds are more quiet than others, but I honestly think it is an individual trait, and that it can vary dramatically based upon the makeup of the flock as a whole. Last night I was down at the horse stalls where some of my birds are, and someone asked if they ever crow--that they never seem to. I've never noticed becuase that is several blocks from my house, so I'm not close enough to hear them in the morning, but upon thinking about it, I haven't heard them crow during the day, either. The birds I have at the house crow off and on all day: pretty much any time except dusk to 3am.

10. rainierlass

rainierlass Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2010
    Eatonville,WA
    My BLRW roo is 9 mo. old and I RARELY hear him crow........maybe once or twice in the morning but otherwise he is very quiet.........

He has a very low crow and I do not find it annoying at all.......I find myself wishing he crowed more! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by