Crowing - Symptoms and Causes

CalgaryFarmer

Songster
5 Years
Oct 13, 2014
Just outside Calgary, Alberta
Symptoms - A common symptom of a chicken crowing will be a loud boisterous call. Often generalized as a "cock-a-doodle-doo" sound. Can vary quite a bit.

Causes:

1. Highly associated with maleness in a chicken, though not required.
2. Colourful plumage on the animal, though not a requirements,
3. Daybreak, though not required.

All kidding aside, I notice that our roosters crow at various triggers:

1. The sound of the garage door opening. Might the expectation that someone might wander by with some treats
2. Sunrise - but I get the sense that for the most part it is more about being let out of the coop.
3. Kids and their usual high activitiy
4. Nervousness such as an adult approaching the run or walking away from the run

Others can comment on this as well. It is just my observation.

The point I am trying to make is that if you are concerned about your rooster crowing you might want to look at what is triggering the crowing.

Roosters crow randomly for the same reasons male lions roar, to mark their territory to other roosters and to call in any wandering hens to join the flock. It's mostly a territorial display as well as a means of letting others know where they are and that they have the territory.

We currently have no fewer than three other roosters in our very rural neighborhood that I never knew existed. Their trigger? My new rooster. He's got the whole 'hood in an uproar! They go at it all day long. They are far enough from each other than you can barely hear the others off in the distance but the minute one starts up they all go at it.
They were a quiet bunch before my Roscoe showed up. He likes to sing the song of his people allll day long.

Roosters crow randomly for the same reasons male lions roar, to mark their territory to other roosters and to call in any wandering hens to join the flock. It's mostly a territorial display as well as a means of letting others know where they are and that they have the territory.

I agree that is the cause of some of the crowing but in my experience it is not the cause of the majority of the crowing.

Their trigger? My new rooster. He's got the whole 'hood in an uproar! They go at it all day long. They are far enough from each other than you can barely hear the others off in the distance but the minute one starts up they all go at it.
They were a quiet bunch before my Roscoe showed up.

We have this as well and it is a source of some of the crowing as well.

Back
Top Bottom