Crowing

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by aclee, May 14, 2010.

1. aclee

aclee Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2010
    Amesbury, MA
    my cornish are 10 weeks and today is their day of no feed (I'm spreading cracked corn out on the ground, but that's it) and some of them decided to display their displeasure at the lack of food by crowing at me...they aren't very good at it, but they are trying!

2. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    Are they cornish X ??? Mine never did crow and I kept them til 12 weeks.....

3. pigfarmer

pigfarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2010
    Central Maine
    Mine never crowed either, and I kept them for 12wks also???????????
    My freedom rangers are trying to crow at 7wks.
    And they sound funny!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. MacPoultry

MacPoultry Out Of The Brooder

Sep 13, 2009
    middle TN
    I raised 2 batches of Cornish X last year. The spring group was processed at 8 and 9 weeks (I did half one weekend, then the rest the next weekend). The week before the first processing I had a lot of crowing. Some of them were pretty funny to hear, but some were very strong sounding. My fall batch was processed at 7 and 8 weeks old, and I never heard even 1 attempt to crow. My first batch this year is 5 weeks old now and while silent, I do have a few boys that are more aggressive than the past. Mock fighting, attacking the broom as I shoo them back in their pen at night, nothing that I need to worry about, but it is strange to see the vast differences in personalities and behaviors in the different batches.

5. aclee

aclee Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2010
    Amesbury, MA
    yup, the 2 that I saw crowing were Jumbo Cornish X from MMM [​IMG] They are no longer crowing as they are chilling before the head into the freezer...I kept these till 10 weeks and I can not imagine keeping them one second longer...some of the Cornish Roasters I could have kept longer (and did keep some back) but the jumbo Cornish were HUGE...can't even imagine two more weeks of their poop...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by