Crows chasing a BIG HAWK

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by DonnaBelle, Apr 28, 2009.

1. DonnaBelle

DonnaBelle Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    McIntosh County, OK
    I just walked out to the front porch to look at the chickens in their pasture. Over the hen house was a huge hawk flying through the air with a crow on each side. They were running him out of town!!!!

I have been feeding the crows some spaghetti, corn, crackers, etc. for some time now. They are paying me back.

We have a lot of field mice here, which they may be feeding on also.

Anyway, I was estatic to see them chasing that hawk!!!!!

I have 50 7 week old chicks who are in a covered run, but my 3 grown RIR hens and their rooster are in an open range pen. My rooster is a gem, he watchs the skies as the girls scratch. He rounds them up and sends them into the hen house several times during the day, I think he can sense danger.

Just wanted to share the happy event of the day!!!

DonnaBelle

2. Shared Acres

Shared Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2008
    Northeast Fla
    That's good!

Crows have started appearing in our backyard. But hubby says they aren't messing with the hawks.

3. DDRanch

DDRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2008
    California
    I was thrilled a few months ago when I saw that a pair of crows was builiding a nest near my coop and free-range pasture. I lost one of my hens to a hawk last December and have had to curtail the free range time unless they are supervised. Now, I have 2 built in babysitters, thank you Mr. and Mrs. Crow.

They run of all hawks (particularily the red tails which are abundant) in and around their nest area, which covers quite a bit of territory. I love them !!!!! and they have never bothered the grown hens. Wish I had more around.
    Lucky us !!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by