Crows?

LaurasLorps

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 19, 2011
Arkansas
This may be a dumb question, but do crows ever attack chicks? We have several crows that sit in the tree in the middle at the yard and go crazy cawing every time I am out with our girls (they are only 4 weeks, so no unsupervised outside time yet). I figured their bark was worse than their bite, so to speak, but yesterday I found a dead bird (looked like a jay) that was only a little smaller than my chicks. There were pieces of its body all over the yard, and a bit later I saw a crow picking at some of the carcass. I live in a pretty urban area, so there aren't a lot of predators, especially during the day, so I am wondering if a crow could kill a jay (or my similarly sized chicks) or if they just like scavenge what something else kills.

Thanks

For years I have lived in an urban environment with numerous crows and magpies. I've never worried about them, even in groups.
They are not killers, they eat the carnage that the cats and cars leave behind. They peck at the ground in my yard but only early morn or after a rain. They don't come to eat my chicken feed.
Unless your chicks are very teeny, even then I doubt it, or like to play and look dead, you won't have a problem with crows.
My cats though, will shred a mouse, in my neighbors yard, and the crows will be there as soon as the cat is gone, to investigate.
In my experience, crows are nosy, lazy, noisy, opportunistic and smart creatures. They know what's going on in the neighborhood, who to bully and are completely fine with letting another do the dirty work, while reaping the rewards.
I have not ever seen a crow or magpie chase or hunt anything to kill it.

welcome-byc.gif

Crows will absolutely kill your chicks and steal eggs if they see an opportunity. Jays will too. I personally like keeping the crows around because they help deter hawks and eagles which are deadly to all of your chickens (even adults).
smile.png

Crows can scare away hawks, so can be good to have around, but will take the opportunity to grab a live meal if it presents itself. Just this weekend we watched a crow pluck a big vole out of the field and fly off with it just like a hawk would.

They will steal your eggs! darn birds kept taking the eggs right out of the coop and in the nesting boxes. I killed one but there were more. I never saw them take the eggs and didn't know what it was until the one got caught in a trap. Even took the fake eggs! Ultimately I put a flap over the coop door (an old t shirt) and that stopped them from going into the coop. I have my eggs back. Got 5 out of 6 today.

Quote:
It may not have happened to you, but it does happen. When I was younger, I watched as a flock of crows worked together to lure a pair of mocking birds from their nest through harassment. Once they had lured them off, one flew to the nest and grabbed a nearly fledged chick out of it. I watched as they ripped apart and ate the poor thing in my front yard. So while yes, they will normally go for carrion.. they are opportunistic and will take any free meal they find.

Crows are very smart birds and will learn to hunt fledglings and eggs--you will often see songbirds chasing them. If given the opportunity they will get at chicken eggs and take an unprotected chick or two. On the other hand crows hate all raptors and will mob them so you get a trade off. Like a number of those above, I prefer to have them around for this reason and if crows are making a fuss I will not let my chickens free-range until they have driven off whatever it is that has them upset.

Back
Top Bottom