Crud! I have been snared in the net of NAIS...

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by SpottedCrow, Nov 26, 2007.

1. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

The Commonwealth of Massachusetts has found out finally that I have chickens...and they want me and my TWO WHOLE chickens to be signed up for NAIS...

OH Please! I'm gonna have to call up when I take my two pets to Petco or Petsmart for a change of pace or when we go to a Chickenstock or I bring them to school...and then again when I bring them back home.

Right now they're "only asking for your participation in the premise identification component of NAIS". MDAR (Massachusetts Department of Agricultural Resources) "strongly and sincerely believes that participation in NAIS will offer significant benefits to producers and agriculture in MA".

2. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Are you kidding me? Registering 2 chickens???? How did they find out you had such a large flock? Karen

3. pipermark

pipermark Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2007
    Arkansas
    I still dont understand how these states can make it mandatory to enter a voluntary program, just further proof of how government says one thing today and another tomorrow.

I wouldn't put it past them that the plan all along was to say it was "voluntary" in the federal arena to get the program passed without a lot of flack, and then the states were going to come from behind and make it mandatory.

4. lexustami

lexustami Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2007
    St. Clairsville, OH
    Since participation is not mandatory just ignore it. That is what I would do.

Take care,

Tami

5. Barnyard Dawg

Barnyard Dawg Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2007
    Northern California
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2007
  6. Renegade

Renegade Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2007
    Griffin, GA
    I also say just ignore them. The state of GA found out last year that I have goats, chickens, guineas, a horse, and a donkey and told me I needed to register everything with NAIS. I said no and they haven't bothered me since.

Donna

Last edited: Nov 26, 2007
  7. lacyloo

lacyloo Cooped Up

May 26, 2007
    north florida
    whats nails ????

8. lacyloo

lacyloo Cooped Up

May 26, 2007
    north florida
    never mind i figired it out. omg im sorry does everyboty that has animals have to register animals>?????

9. carugoman

carugoman Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2007
    NW FL Crestview
    Hi Y'all,

Luckily,the state senator,for my district,runs a family poultry(fresh eggs) farm. He's started a "grass-roots" campaign,along with US Rep Miller(NW-FL,)to block this crappo NAIS dead in its tracks. But that's the thing. One can't stand on the sidelines and ignore what's going on! Scream,yell,kick,whatever! Just get your point across to your elected officials.

Heck,if the ban on high cartridge magazine,semi-automatic pistols and "ASSAULT-style" weapons(whatever that freaking means?),didn't work...what makes any sane,astute,reasonable and educated person with common sense think that this NAIS, will work?
    All y'all take care!

10. eggzettera

eggzettera Chillin' With My Peeps

So do you know how they found about you? I am very curious.

I was going to order mine online but did not want the Post Office/Hatchery to have my info, so I bought with cash at my local feed store...sounds like a clandestine deal...."psst, hey mister wanna buy some chickens"?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by