Cruel disposal of unwanted chicks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

phy

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 15, 2011
Hi everyone,

I stumbled upon a video that says male chicks at hatcheries are "ground up alive" because they are not sold (
). I was wondering -- is this really what hatcheries do to unwanted chicks? Is this video legitimate? And, if not, how DO hatcheries dispose of unwanted chicks?

Thanks!

Not sure of the ground up alive part, but there many many males done away with on a routine basis.

Everyone wants all hens, and that is not the way it works in nature.

Buy straight run, and you get 50-50 or so.

In most hatcheries that sell to the everyday public, extra roosters are often sold as extra warmer chicks, or in things like "fry pan specials" and the sort. They aren't ground up or instantly culled like hatcheries like Hyline does. That's what commercialized production layer hatcheries do.

But that doesn't make our everyday ones much better, considering, a big question is, how are the parents to your chicks treated? What is their life and environment life? I'm sure it is awful considering how many eggs must come out of each breed/color for one hatchery, and how many chicks have to come out of those eggs, and the breeders who supply are contracted.

Some of this might be true, but I have heard of hatcheries giving the males to meat producers. The one thing I hate in this video is that it says "Chicken farmers view chickens as inadament objects" which is not true. Some might, but not everyone. It is very ignorant for her to say that.

It's like with any video talking about agricultural controversy - They mainly mean to say industrial supporting farmers, but yeah, rather uncalled for to say farmers in general.

There are organized people out there that want to end all ownership of animals. They like to put out videos vilifying farmers who have livestock to rally the public against animal ownership.. So you must take that sort of video with a great deal of skepticism and thought and double check what you see with an unbiased source.

Think about it. It is not actually that bad. A sharp blow to the head or neck would kill a chick instantly. IF the chicks are indeed going into a grinder, the blades would be whirling really fast. The chick would immediately receive a blow to the head or spine that would kill it. It would be extremely fast.

The makers of that sort of video want you to equate it to yourself being slowly fed into a grinder, one limb at a time. It's not the same thing at all.

I've seen the equipment used to break necks on unhealthy chicks (and probably excess chicks) so I am a bit doubtful about the "grind them up alive" idea. Large poultry farms are all inspected and they all have laws they must follow, and if chicks are really being put through a grinder, it is an approved method of euthanasia.

x2 and it is called reality. You simply just can not save all of them. Look what happened to the horses in the USA with no butchering plants to take care of the unwanted and overpopulated glut of horses and ponies that could be useful in feeding our pets or to dinner table.

There are organized people out there that want to end all ownership of animals. They like to put out videos vilifying farmers who have livestock to rally the public against animal ownership.. So you must take that sort of video with a great deal of skepticism and thought and double check what you see with an unbiased source.

Think about it. It is not actually that bad. A sharp blow to the head or neck would kill a chick instantly. IF the chicks are indeed going into a grinder, the blades would be whirling really fast. The chick would immediately receive a blow to the head or spine that would kill it. It would be extremely fast.

The makers of that sort of video want you to equate it to yourself being slowly fed into a grinder, one limb at a time. It's not the same thing at all.

I've seen the equipment used to break necks on unhealthy chicks (and probably excess chicks) so I am a bit doubtful about the "grind them up alive" idea. Large poultry farms are all inspected and they all have laws they must follow, and if chicks are really being put through a grinder, it is an approved method of euthanasia.

Well, we'll be buying a 'Fry Pan Special,' so there's a bunch of male chicks who will have a glorious life scratching, pecking at bugs in the great outdoors, doing what chickens love to do best...before we whack off their heads and eat them.

What saddens me is not that male chicks are done away with immediately.

I am sad to think of all those potential chicken dinners which could have been donated to a local Food Bank to feed homeless families. If only the government would make it easy (less red tape) for farmers to raise excess meat animals and produce for the hungry! It's absurd how much waste we have in the is country.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom