1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Cruiser

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by LV426, Sep 23, 2008.

1. LV426

LV426 Chillin

Jul 16, 2008
    Rescued from a dead mommy this little baby boy now has a new chance at life. He's still very tiny and should have been with mom for several more weeks but unfortunately due to a car he is now on his own. Well he was on his own because lucky for him I was able to get him and bring him into my zoo for care. He spent his first few hours with me trapped in my dashboard since that's where he immediately crawled to as soon as he was in the car. Which is why he is now called Cruiser. Several hours later I was able to retrieve him from the glovebox and now he's been bathed, de-flea'd fed a warm dinner of kitten milk and opossum crunchies, and is now ready to go to bed in his own cage with a box and a dryer warmed towel for a blankey. Quite an auspicious new day for a little waif.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. sdshoars

sdshoars Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2008
    Texas
    omg that is so cute! i am glad you were there to pick the little booger up! but what are you going to do with him when he get big?

3. Bec

Bec THE Delaware Blue Hen

He is adorable!! I used to volunteer at our local rehab for years and the opossums were always my favorite! They sure do have a lot of teeth!!!! 50! When we would reach in to feed them, they would open up!! He is so lucky you rescued him!! He will have a nice life and grow up happy and healthy!!!

Poor Mum though! [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 23, 2008
  4. LV426

LV426 Chillin

Jul 16, 2008
    I rehab the ones I can. I have one now, Chloe who was a rescue and she has medical conditions so she can't ever be released. I had to go get a permit from the state to keep her. I'd like to send this little guy off into the woods but since he's all alone and has to be hand fed for now that may be difficult. Usually if you raise them in a group they remain fairly wild but as individuals they become tame and used to people. I'm going to see if any wildlife centers around me have any groups of opossums that I can place him in. If not he will ,most likely end up a permanent fixture. I'm building an outdoor cage for Chloe so I may have to make it a little larger for Cruiser to live in. Of course he will have to be neutered because I don't want to have baby opossums or endanger Chloe's health by her becoming pregnant.

5. gaited horse

gaited horse Merry Christmas!

Aug 14, 2008
    Fernley, NV
    get rid of it.

edited to say in case of rabis or he eats your chickens but he is cute.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2008
  6. Aneesa's Muse

Aneesa's Muse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    Good save! Good luck rehab'ing the little one and possibly finding a group for it, so it can be safely released some day.

7. theOEGBman

theOEGBman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    Central California
    Quote:I just looooove when people have nothing positive to say.

LV, you know my opinion on this little guy! Cute as a flippin button!

8. Aneesa's Muse

Aneesa's Muse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    Quote:..and I was being made to think it's just me [​IMG]

Thank you, Jordan [​IMG]

9. LV426

LV426 Chillin

Jul 16, 2008
    Quote:I just looooove when people have nothing positive to say.

LV, you know my opinion on this little guy! Cute as a flippin button!

It's ok, my mom is the same way. It freaks her out that I have opossums in the house. He really is a cute little thing. Chloe has gotten so big that she scares the little guy. He took one look at her when she came out to see him and took off running for his cage, crawled in and hid under the towel. She just sniffed him and went looking for her dinner.

10. chicknmania

chicknmania Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    Bless you for saving him. Possums are so cute, and maligned. There is a wildlife awareness group in our area and they have one that they take for talks to various groups. You could probably find something like that in your area, too. Good luck with him. Ignore those people with a bad attitude. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by