Crumble vs pellet

Usually scissor beaked birds can't eat pellets well, so do watch her! A deep dish with crumble works best, IMO, and that will get scattered by your birds.
Make sure to pick her up weekly, at least, checking her body condition compared to same breed flockmates. Weighing her would be good! She needs to be keeping up with them, and 'feel right' in your hands, or she's malnourished. Don't wait for starvation!
Mary
@Folly's place, thank you for the heads up! She's done really well with the deep dishes and crumble, and while it appears she's doing better with the pellets it's good to know that may not be the case. She's slightly smaller than her flock mates but has been doing well, and is weighed weekly so we should be able to catch an issue pretty quick - offering both crumble and pellets wouldn't be an issue for us!

Thanks again!

Last edited:
I just search online for the pellets at TSC. No results!

They do have Nutrena Naturewise All Flock pellets, 40 lb bag for $15.99 listed though.

What gives?? My store doesn’t carry it so I can’t have it shipped there for pick up? What am I missing?

Have you ordered it online, and have the mill dates been good?
Mary
I guess I thought I saw TSC sold the pellet, but apparently they don't anymore. They carried it last year, and I have seen it at other feed stores locally, so it is out there. I'm not sure how fresh it would be.

When I search several stores other than TSC came up. When I get closer to needing to buy feed again I’ll call those stores and see if they carry the pellets. I think there’s less waste with pellets when feeding dry food but it’s easier to make fermented feed with crumbles. I therefore have a need for both.

Pellets are definitely less waste, but they are much more processed compared to crumble/naturally milled feed. I also noticed that all commercial feeders are intended for pellets, and milled feed (from local farm) gets stuck, so that I have to shake my feeders more often.

Back
Top Bottom