Crumbles or Pellets for your duckies?

Jlw0903

Songster
Jul 2, 2019
Do you give your ducks crumbles or pellets for their feed?
I am currently giving them layer crumbles but I want to switch to a 16 or 17% flock raiser since i don't want my drake to develop issues due to the high calcium in the layer feed. The issue is that my local TSC only has that in pellets. I always assumed that the crumbles would be easier for them to eat which is why I have always gone with that. Has anyone had any issues with giving pellet feed to ducks?
I obviously have grit available to them at all times and would give them oyster shells as well if I switch to the flock raiser.

It would be very bad if my drake got sick because he is NOT nice. it would be near suicide to try and treat him for any kind of affliction. but he is a pretty boy and takes good care of his ladies so I love him anyways.

Pellets and crumbles are usually very similar--same mix of ground up stuff, made into sticks on the same machine, but broken into different length pieces.

Once it's in their crop with some water, either one will just turn into mush pretty fast. So as long as they are willing to swallow it, there will be no trouble digesting it.

Pellets were easiest to feed and made the least mess when I had just the standard sized ducks. But I have calls in the mix now and they had a heck of a time with them. Weird, I know. I had switched them to the crumble of the same feed, but then the big ducks (one in particular) decided to choke themselves on it, so now I’ve switched to a ground whole grain mash type grower from the local feed mill. It’s not too powdery so they don’t choke on it, and there are enough smaller and bigger pieces everyone can eat easily. And the chickens clean up all the leftover bits. Lol.

Thanks everyone! very helpful! I tend to over think things when it comes to my feather babies and get all stressed out about what is best for them so you all are very helpful at putting my mind at ease.

I can totally see how the pellets may be less messy which will be nice since they seem to spill their food all over the place even though I have a pan under the feeder to try and catch it (it probably only gets 50% of the mess)

Once I go through what I have now I think i will switch over.

When they are adults they can get some of the crumble in their airways. You will hear them them like sneeze or cough. Pellets is usually recommended for adults. I have had a hard time finding non layer feed in my area, so a lot of mine had been crumble and they do occasionally sneeze when they scarf it down too fast.

Back
Top Bottom