Crumbles or Pellets

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Vinniemac, Aug 10, 2013.

1. Vinniemac

Vinniemac Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2011
    Western Pennsylvania
    I'm sure this has been discussed before. But I will be changing from Start & Grow to Layene in about a month. trying to decide between crumbles or pellet. The lady at the feed store said she experienced a lot of waste with crumbles. But the chickens did not like the pellets at first. What was your expereince ?
    Vinnie

2. New Chicken Lad

New Chicken Lad Out Of The Brooder

Sep 16, 2012
    Northern New Jersey
    Mine didn't like the pellets either... I feed Layena crumbles, only what they will consume in one day. I only have 4 hens so waste (of feed or money) is not a major concern for me. More important to me is feeding them proactively foods that have lots of calcium and vitamins to keep them healthy.
    I spend a lot of time on the illness & diseases threads to see what people do to help a sick chicken. For example, when chickens get sour crop or impacted crop, people say to feed them yogurt...I has beneficial bacteria to help clear up these conditions. So I thought to myself, why not feed it to them once a week in an effort to not get these conditions. I'll make them oatmeal and add some yogurt, applesauce, banana, corn and grapes...Oh yeah, their spoiled.
    I feed them scrambled eggs once a week as well. What a great and natural way to add calcium and omega 3's to their diet. They get some kind of meal everyday approximately 3 hours before sundown.
    Enough of me, good luck, Helen

3. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    I feed mostly pellets to standard adults because of the waste issue also. I feed an all ages food though and offer a mix of pellets and crumbles to the chicks pretty early so there is not really a problem with them eating pellets later on.

4. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    I agree with the above - seems like there is a lot less waste with crumbles.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by