Crumbles vs Pellets. Do they eat one faster then the other?

Shellyb

Songster
10 Years
Apr 25, 2009
I had bought pellets when they got switched to layer formula but DH bought layer crumbles and it seems to go MUCH faster then the pellets. Is this the case or does it just seem that way? I did like the pellets better cuz the crumbles they seem to pullvarize them and it blocks the holes that the food comes out of and I have to shake it down everyday. Thanks for your thoughts.

we feed pellets - one time TS was out of pellets and I had to get crumbles - they billed it out all over the ground and wasted a lot more.

I've done both. They do seem to eat the pellets more slowly. I'm just buying crumbles now though. I've started raising bantams and they seem to have an easier time eating the crumbles. I don't want to buy 2 bags of feed for my banties and standards, so crumbles it is!

Sonja

Mine definitely went for the crumbles before pellets so I feed the crumbles with cracked corn as a supplemental treat (and the occasional handful of horse sweet feed and veg scraps). They seem to do well on it.

I feed mash...when they get crumbles or pellets, they eat it much faster and there is more waste from the leftover dust of them trying to eat these bits.

The mash is just the right consistency for them to get a mouthful but not as easily as gulping down pellets or trying to pick up crumbly ol' crumbles.

Quote:
Funny, I had the opposite thing happen, grain elevator was out of crumbles and so I got pellets and they waste a lot of the pellets every day. I plan on getting crumbles next time for sure.

My Girls love the crumbled over the pellet. So that's what they get, the crumbled. I never have any waste from the crumbled since I purchased the Little Giant 11 lb feeder. I needed a bigger feeder when they got to around 4 weeks old. And the feeder they had was a daily chore for me to clean up the spillage.
So when I bought the Little Giant, I was quite surprised that they didn't make a mess. And now it's been several months now and sill no waste.
Here is a pic of it. I got it from my local feed store for around $17.00 and worth ever penny.

I didn't hang it. I have it resting on a cement block.
The top is open so I put a pie pan on it and they don't bother it at all.

34721_feeder_13lbs.jpg

It's going to depend on your individual flock. I have mine split in three pens and each pen is different. Some love the crumbles, others love the pellets.

Try both and see which you like.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom